Re: [GAdetection] Blatant Publishes Promotion

  • Douglas Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
      We have just published a book that will interest fans of pulp and
      semi-hardboiled of the Golden Age -- Raoul Whitfield's JO GAR'S CASEBOOK,
      the first in our series "Tales From the Black Mask Morgue," co-published
      with Black Mask Press. The limited (225) copies clothbound is $45 (with
      extra pamphlet) and the trade softcover (400 copies in the 1st printing) is
      $20.

      Whitfield was one of the most important writers in BLACK MASK during the
      1930's, often considered co-equal (if that's the word I want) with Hammett,
      Chandler, and Gardner. The Jo Gar stories are about a detective on the
      Philippines, and form Whitfield's first short story collection.

      Doug G.
      www.Crippenlandru.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
        Glad to see Raoul escaping from oblivion. He's not very in court today, often dismissed for confused plotting in his novels, but his short work is first-rate. It was a frequent thing in hard-boiled fiction, and it maybe explains why some of that school's greatest achievements are short-stories rather than novels. It's my own opinion, but none of Hammett's novels match his shorter works.
        So thank you, Doug. Could you do same thing for Henry Kane or Bruno M. Fischer?

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002
          Doug- It's great to hear about the Whitfield collection and the upcoming Mitchell collection. What fun to have Nick pen the introduction!

          I sure like the sound of a Tales from the Black Mask Morgue series. There is certainly a lot of material there. I am still hoping that someone can rescue Erle Stanley Gardner's early work from magazine oblivion. The more I read of him, the more I am convinced that some of his greatest work was his pulp work of the late 20s and early 30s. I'll always love Mason, Doug Selby, and Cool and Lam, but I am constantly amazed by the strength of his storytelling skills in the Phantom Crook, Senor Lobo, Sidney Zoom and Lester Leith stories. Because he was usually limited to 30 pages or so of text, Gardner was forced to get right into the plot, and this seemed to serve his style and imagination well. For evidence of this, I direct readers to the final three stories in the collection entitled The Blonde in Lower Six. Those three Phantom Crook tales spring brightly and confidently from the page, showing that Gardner's skill in character development, in plot construction, and in the importance of building suspense. I cannot sing their praises enough, and I would imagine that there is more, so very much more of the same, in the mountainous volume of his uncollected works.

          Okay, Doug, I hereby promise officially that this will be my last plea and plug for Gardner! But I feel it just needed to be said one more time...

          Richard