Re: [GAdetection] Hammett's Reviews of His Contemporaries

  • curt evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Hammetts reviews were supposed to be published in book form but the book never appeared. They are interesting reviews, but all we ever read about is is his blast at Van Dine. Why dont we ever read that he liked Dorothy L. Sayers, apparently? Might it be because that would upset the conventional view that hard-boiled writers (i. e. Ray Chandler in Simple Art of Murder) hated English detective fiction (not even entirely true in Chandlers case)?

      Curt

        It's all part of the ridiculous critical oversimplification, which is the bane of any serious mystery lover's existence, as you well know, Curt (John Rhode had absolutely no interest in characterization, etc.…). That's why I object to puzzle plots being prefer to simply as works in the "traditional style." Stylistics and plotting are entirely distinct categories, nearly analogous to the aesthetics and mechanics of an automobile. Though rare, there have been complex puzzle plots that are not written in any style that could be referred to as "traditional," and (far less rare) there are detective stories written in a traditional style--taking place in English villages and all-- which are entirely bereft of interesting (or often, ANY) clues. The THIN MAN sequel treatments I just read by Hammett are excellent examples of the more than "50 shades of gray" of this issue.

        Scott