Re: [GAdetection] Archetypal stories

  • luis molina
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 20 7:56 PM
      remember the novel?

      --- On Tue, 11/20/12, Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...> wrote:

      From: Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...>
      Subject: [GAdetection] Archetypal stories
      To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 3:44 PM

      I've been beginning research on Fred Dannay and one of his early

      stories is about discovering Sherlock Holmes as a boy trapped in bed

      after an abscess. Anthony Boucher had a similar story with his asthma.

      My own story was rather similar except it was Poirot and allergies to

      the entire out of doors.

      Does anyone know of other authors who had similar stories? I seem to

      remember others, but I can't pull up the names at the moment.

      Thanks!

      Jeff

      --

      Jeffrey Marks

      www.jeffreymarks.com

      Check out my website for news about my books and marketing tips of the month

      Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s/1950s

      Who Was That Lady? Craig Rice: The Queen of the Screwball Mystery

      Anthony Boucher: A Biobibliography -- 2009 Anthony winner

    • jeffrey1marks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21 2:32 AM
        For me? Yes, it was The Underdog and Other Stories. My father bought it for me at a yard sale when I was about 12-13. I can do one better than remembering --- I still own it!

        Jeff

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, luis molina <lrmolina47@...> wrote:

        > remember the novel?

      • Douglas G.
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 22 5:25 AM
          After reading all the Hardy Boys and (yes) Nancy Drews and Ken Holt and Rick Brant, I found a 1st edition in deplorable condition at my Grampa's of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES -- I was 11 years old. I was hooked on Holmes, and then checked out of a local library EQ's 101 YEARS ENTERTAINMENT, and discovered that there were more riches out there.

          Doug G
        • Ronald Smyth
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22 8:45 AM
            I cannot remember just when I began to concentrate on mysteries. My mother was a schoolteacher back in the days of one room schools and she always read to us when we were children. She would read to us after breakfast before we went to school and she would read to us before we went to bed. We had no television until I was about ten or eleven and reading was simply what one did for entertainment when not outside playing. I began reading with animal stories, then adventure stories of many kinds, Tarzan, Hardy Boys, Tom Swift etc. I've had a library card since public school. Eventually at some point in my teens I began to read more history and now I read very little except history and mystery, and the mystery is of a wide variety. I read PI fiction, classic GAD, police procedural, historical mysteries, hard boiled , pulp, short stories or novels. And after fifty years or more I'm still finding new works and authors, many of them introduced to me by their
            easy availability due to ebooks and the internet. It's a great time to be a reader.

            Ron Smyth

          • luis molina
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 22 10:37 AM
              I read (10 years) SH, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and the other Grosset & Dunlap series,and Perry Mason. That road took me to other authors and at 14 years I discovered Queen, and my world was of mystery from that time.