The Case of the Drowsy Mosquito (1943)

  • Last Century Detective
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2012
      I posted a review of Erle Stanley Gardner's THE CASE OF THE DROWSY MOSQUITO this afternoon:

      <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2012/11/undermining-law.html>
    • Henrique Valle
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2012
        I have no evidence of this, but I'm convinced Gardner planned Drowsy Mosquito as a tour de force in which Perry Mason would represent someone accused of having tried to murder him, and then changed his mind and turned it into a less spectacular, more personal story. Gardner's desert stories generally convey a distinct feeling of personal significance, even if it comes out somewhat blunted by the sharp objectivity of his writing. This is as close as Gardner gets to being confessional.

        Although I don't rate this book's plot as high as you do, considering the whole of his novels I would extend your Agatha Christie comparison further and say that Gardner was probably the only other detective writer who produced such a large number of books plotted to such a high standard. The complexity of his plots is frequently dazzling, with multiple sub-plots and several layers of deceit. Many of his novels are actually fair-play puzzles, but are not generally recognized as such because Gardner's style, settings, situations and characters are closer to the Black Mask conventions, and also because he created a radically original formula, in which the typical features of fair-play puzzles are not present in the usual way.

        Henrique