'Insurance and Crime' (1903)

  • miketooney49
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2012
      How many GAD stories involve insurance schemes of
      one kind or another?

      'The Outlook,' July 25, 1903:

      <http://www.unz.org/Pub/Outlook-1903jul25-00758>

      INSURANCE AND CRIME. By Alexander Colin
      Campbell. G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York. 1903.

      Some excerpts:

      "He [the author] believes in insurance, but
      demonstrates that this great sphere of
      human activity is no more exempt from
      moral evils than any other, and that these
      moral evils are not to be cured merely by
      the enlightened self-interest of insurance
      men. The conscience of the whole public
      must be aroused to protect the public
      welfare."

      "The author's first illustration of the
      inadequacy of the motive of self-interest
      on the part of the insurance companies to
      protect the public is the history of marine
      insurance. Instance after instance is given
      of vessels overinsured, which were sent
      out to sea in unseaworthy condition,
      certain to go down in the first storm,
      bearing with them all on board. In some
      cases captains were hired to scuttle their
      ships if the storms failed to do the
      desired work."

      "... in general, Mr. Campbell maintains,
      even when the insurance companies come
      together for joint agreements, they have
      striven to increase rates so that they could
      afford to run the risk of subsidized arson
      rather than to establish rules to eliminate
      the moral hazards."

      "In the field of life insurance Mr. Campbell
      presents even more thrilling historical
      incidents bringing out the terrible crimes
      which unregulated insurance may incite,
      and here his narrative has philosophical
      completeness in that he is able to present
      the legal remedy for the wrongs exposed.
      This remedy consists in the prohibition of
      insurance for the benefit of any one who
      has not a clear financial interest in the
      continued life of the person insured."

      "... the public records of child murder
      which he cites will prompt many of his
      readers to demand that legislators apply
      rigidly in this field the principle that
      parents may only insure against the
      financial loss which their children's
      sickness and death would bring. To
      insure against loss -- to make small
      sacrifices in times of prosperity to
      provide against disaster -- is a reason-
      able and rightful thing; but to insure in
      the hope of gain through others' losses
      is a species of policy-playing or
      gambling that is bad in spirit and
      demoralizing in its consequences."

      "... three chapters on Company Frauds
      deal with quite a distinct form of crime
      connected with unregulated insurance.
      Many of the incidents illustrating how
      irresponsible companies have defrauded
      policy-holders are grotesque in the
      extreme, but in most of these cases
      the victims of the crimes awaken little
      pity, as their own senseless greed has
      prompted them to take foolhardy risks in
      the hope of getting something for nothing
      or getting immense returns from small
      investments."
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2012
        Ronald Knox's investigator, Miles Bredon, works for the Indescribable
        Insurance Company, and all his cases, I believe, turn on some point of
        insurance.

        In the post-GAD era, Banacek is probably the best known insurance
        investigator.

        Jon.

        On 02/11/12 08:46, miketooney49 wrote:
        > How many GAD stories involve insurance schemes of
        > one kind or another?
        >
        > 'The Outlook,' July 25, 1903:
        >
        > <http://www.unz.org/Pub/Outlook-1903jul25-00758>
        >
        > INSURANCE AND CRIME. By Alexander Colin
        > Campbell. G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York. 1903.

      • Mike Blake
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2012
          Jon Jeremy wrote:
          > In the post-GAD era, Banacek is probably
          > the best known insurance investigator.

          The others I can think are indeed more obscure. James Franciscus as
          LONGSTREET is remembered more as a blind detective inspired by Duncan
          Maclain. But he was an insurance investigator.

          Mike Blake
        • juryboxer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
            Another one is Richard Lupoff's Hobart Lindsey in a series of books beginning with THE COMIC BOOK KILLER (1988). Then there was radio's Johnny Dollar.

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Mike Blake <MikeBlake@...> wrote:

            > Jon Jeremy wrote:
            > > In the post-GAD era, Banacek is probably
            > > the best known insurance investigator.
            >
            > The others I can think are indeed more obscure. James Franciscus as
            > LONGSTREET is remembered more as a blind detective inspired by Duncan
            > Maclain. But he was an insurance investigator.
            >
            > Mike Blake

          • Ronald Smyth
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2012
              That brings back memories. Johnny Dollar is the only radio drama to which I remember listening as a child.
              It was a favourite of my mother.

              Ron Smyth