Re: The Amateur Cracksman' (1899)

  • Allan Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2012
      > Posted by: "Mr Molesack" mr.molesack@... mr.molesack
      > Date: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 am ((PDT))
      >
      > I love the Raffles stories. Hornung maintained a very high standard, and
      > the final book of short stories is as good as a first. I read the Stingaree
      > stories a few years ago,and was surprised that they aren't better known. The
      > disgraced English gentleman who survives as an Australian bushwhacker is an
      > idea wonderfully of its period, and they have the same charm, wit and
      > invention of the better known series. Hornung's Crime Doctor stories are
      > online, and I'm going to have to make some time to read them.. I suspect
      > that Hornung is one of the most unfairly forgotten crime writers of his
      > generation.

      Sounds like I need to download the Stingaree stories! And the Crime
      Doctor series, which I hadn't heard of.

      Hornung spent some time in Australia so the Stingaree stories should
      have a fairly authentic touch. In fact he was in Australia in 1883
      when the bushranger era was still fresh in people's memories. The
      hanging of Ned Kelly in 1880 is generally taken to have ended the days
      of the bushrangers so who knows, Hornung may have met people who
      actually encountered a bushranger!

      Al