Gilbert Adair's "And Then There Was No One"

  • mulberrycoach
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2012
      Greetings -- I know that Gilbert Adair's Christie pastiches are anathema
      to many members of this forum, but I hope some others will be inspired
      to read his final Evadne Mount story by what I have to say about it.
      (It is, sadly, the final story; Adair died in December 2011.)

      First of all, "No One" is not a Christie pastiche at all. It is written
      in Adair's own hyper-post-modern style, and "Gilbert Adair" himself is
      both the narrator and a major character. Furthermore, the book is set
      in the present day; Evadne Mount's presence is convincingly explained,
      but I'll leave it to you to discover how.

      Still, it is a murder mystery of sorts. The murder takes place in
      Meiringen, Switzerland, home of the Reichenbach Falls, and the victim is
      one Gustav Slavorigin, a much-hated author who's found shot throught the
      heart with an arrow -- in the Holmes museum, no less.

      From then on, the narrative takes some decidedly odd turns. I will only
      say that the mystery is "solved" on a couple of different levels, but
      other narrative mysteries are left unexplained. I can't say more
      without spoiling this excellent and original book, but I would very much
      like to discuss these points with readers.

      So, if anyone has, or does, read "And Then There Was No One," do let me
      know. And apologies to Patrick O and any other anti-Adairists if I've
      given them a headache by praising their bete noir!

      Best,

      John