Re: [GAdetection] Re: Jumping Jenny/Reprints

  • curt evans
    Message 1 of 22 , May 31, 2011
      Thanks, Monica, have made a note!

      By the way, James Prichard of Langtail told me he is holding off further
      reprints of additional GA authors pending an assessment of his sales with
      the current list. So I gather if people want him to keep reprinting, they
      had better buy! He expressed an interest in doing J. J. Connington (another
      author I write about), but I don’t know whether this will ever really happen
      either. It’s been a real struggle. Occasionally a light flashes, but what
      one often looks out on is indifferent night.

      Curt

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2011
        I just posted a review of Helen McCloy's "Mr. Splitfoot" on my blog:

        <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2011/06/inhospitable-guest-room.html>
      • Last Century Detective
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 3, 2011
          I wrote a review, that also functions as a introduction, for Bertus Aafjes' DE VERTRAPTE PIOENROOS (THE TRAMPLED PEONY) â€" which is a short story collection featuring the 18th century Judge Ooka. Bertus Aafjes is often labeled as the counterpart of Robert van Gulik, but he's actually a lot closer G.K. Chesterton.

          My review:

          <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2011/06/solomon-in-kimono.html>

          Please let me know what you think and if you want to see more reviews of his books.
        • Douglas G.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 4, 2011
            I.G. Edmonds has retold genuine Magistrate Ooka stories:

            Solomon in Kimono, Tales of Ooka, A Wise Judge of Old Yedo. Japan: Pacific Stars and Stripes, 1956.
            Retellings of stories about Ooka, tadsuke Echizen no Kami (b. 1677), a Japanese judge who became famous in the manner of Magistrate Bao of China. The stories are primarily detectival; Edmonds calls him the “samurai Sherlock.”

            Ooka the Wise. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merill, 1961.
            Retellings of Ooka stories for children. Some of the stories appeared in different form in Solomon in Kimono.

            DG

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Last Century Detective" <lastcenturydetective@...> wrote:

            > I wrote a review, that also functions as a introduction, for Bertus Aafjes' DE VERTRAPTE PIOENROOS (THE TRAMPLED PEONY) �" which is a short story collection featuring the 18th century Judge Ooka. Bertus Aafjes is often labeled as the counterpart of Robert van Gulik, but he's actually a lot closer G.K. Chesterton.
            >
            > My review:
            >
            > <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2011/06/solomon-in-kimono.html>
            >
            > Please let me know what you think and if you want to see more reviews of his books.

          • Mike Detlefsen
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 4, 2011
              On 29 May 2011, at 00:22 , Patrick O wrote:

              > <http://at-scene-of-crime.blogspot.com/2011/05/murder-game.html>
              >
              > While I enjoyed the book, the particular copy I read was something of a nightmare, unfortunately. I hope The Langtail Press does a better job in its other books!

              I finished Langtail's re-issue of Jumping Jenny last night. I read the Kindle version, and found the formatting to be not all that bad. I found several places with double commas, one place with missing quote marks, and a consistent extra space in front of virtually every explanation mark. As ebooks go, not that bad.

              It's not as bad as the Baen book I'm now reading, which seems to have almost every instance of the word "idea" replaced with "i.e." and every instance of the word "edge" replaced by "e.g.".

              Oh yes, I liked the book. It's the second Berkeley novel I've read (based on recommendations of this group), and won't be the last.

              Mike
            • Faust
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 12, 2011
                Curt

                This sounds incredibly frustrating.

                If you need any help from someone on the spot in London let me know. I'm also trying to revive the long dormant STreet/Burton group, for which I've taken over administrative responsibilities,

                R E Faust

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 13, 2011
                  When I go to the Langtail Press site I see that, for instance, The
                  Layton Court Mystery is 'also available as an eBook', but no indication
                  of how to get hold of it. If it's a matter of going through Amazon (US
                  OR UK) then as far as I'm concerned that's a lie, since Amazon has
                  regional restrictions on what it will sell me here in Australia, and
                  that apparently includes all reissued GAD works.

                  I'm happy to buy a reasonably-priced eBook from anyone who will sell it
                  to me, but under the current mad system publishers and distributors are
                  going out of their way to prevent this from happening. I wish Mr
                  Prichard every success, but perhaps he should review his distribution
                  options before he assesses his sales.

                  Jon.

                  On 01/06/11 15:32, curt evans wrote:

                  > By the way, James Prichard of Langtail told me he is holding off further
                  > reprints of additional GA authors pending an assessment of his sales with
                  > the current list. So I gather if people want him to keep reprinting, they
                  > had better buy! He expressed an interest in doing J. J. Connington (another
                  > author I write about), but I don’t know whether this will ever really
                  > happen
                  > either. It’s been a real struggle. Occasionally a light flashes, but what
                  > one often looks out on is indifferent night.
                  >
                  > Curt

                • Monica Van oostrom
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 14, 2011
                    I agree that those restrictions are Incredibly frustrating, but in this case, we
                    might be in luck :) Form New Zealand, I can buy the Layton Court Mystery from
                    Amazon.com - it is available to us in the "Asia and Pacific" region, which I
                    assume includes Australia.

                    I have purchased The Murder of My Aunt by Richard Hull and The Problem of the
                    Green Capsule by John Dickson Carr (both published by Langtail Press) in Kindle
                    format via Amazon.com. Will very happily purchase some more, if it encourages
                    the re-issue of the works of more GA authors in e-book format.

                    Monica

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 14, 2011
                      My apologies. Monica is quite right, and some of my dollars are now
                      winging their way to Layton Press. All I can say in my defence is that I
                      am sure the 'Buy' button wasn't there yesterday.

                      Jon.

                      On 15/06/11 08:04, Monica Van oostrom wrote:
                      > I agree that those restrictions are Incredibly frustrating, but in this
                      > case, we
                      > might be in luck :) Form New Zealand, I can buy the Layton Court Mystery
                      > from
                      > Amazon.com - it is available to us in the "Asia and Pacific" region,
                      > which I
                      > assume includes Australia.
                    • curt evans
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 14, 2011
                        Monica and John:

                        I will let James Prichard know!

                        Curt

                        My apologies. Monica is quite right, and some of my dollars are now
                        winging their way to Layton Press. All I can say in my defence is that I
                        am sure the 'Buy' button wasn't there yesterday.

                        Jon.

                        On 15/06/11 08:04, Monica Van oostrom wrote:
                        > I agree that those restrictions are Incredibly frustrating, but in this
                        > case, we
                        > might be in luck :) Form New Zealand, I can buy the Layton Court Mystery
                        > from
                        > Amazon.com - it is available to us in the "Asia and Pacific" region,
                        > which I
                        > assume includes Australia.

                      • Last Century Detective
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
                          Curt,

                          Could you ask Mr. Prichard, if he's going to do more reprints in the future, to keep in mind some of the rare and hard-to-get titles...

                          I'd really love to see reprints of Carr's THE DEPARTMENT OF QUEER COMPLAINTS, Scarlett's MURDER AMONG ANGELLS, King's OBELISTS EN ROUTE, etc. etc. etc.

                          Thanks! :)

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
                            Well, I've now bought Kindle versions of the remaining Berkeleys and
                            Browns that I don't already have. Perhaps the price of these (very
                            reasonable) should appear on their website alongside the hardback and
                            paperback costs?

                            Maybe they could even consider (oh, the horror!) doing Kindle-only
                            editions of books they don't want to risk paying for a print run for?

                            Jon.

                            On 01/06/11 15:32, curt evans wrote:
                            > Thanks, Monica, have made a note!
                            >
                            > By the way, James Prichard of Langtail told me he is holding off further
                            > reprints of additional GA authors pending an assessment of his sales with
                            > the current list. So I gather if people want him to keep reprinting, they
                            > had better buy! He expressed an interest in doing J. J. Connington (another
                            > author I write about), but I don’t know whether this will ever really
                            > happen
                            > either. It’s been a real struggle. Occasionally a light flashes, but what
                            > one often looks out on is indifferent night.
                            >
                            > Curt

                          • Monica Van oostrom
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
                              <snip>
                              Maybe they could even consider (oh, the horror!) doing Kindle-only
                              editions of books they don't want to risk paying for a print run for?
                              </snip>

                              I'll second that. Oh, and maybe ePub versions as well, I am all for
                              equal-opportunity e-books ;)

                              ________________________________
                              Well, I've now bought Kindle versions of the remaining Berkeleys and
                              Browns that I don't already have. Perhaps the price of these (very
                              reasonable) should appear on their website alongside the hardback and
                              paperback costs?

                              Maybe they could even consider (oh, the horror!) doing Kindle-only
                              editions of books they don't want to risk paying for a print run for?

                              Jon.

                              On 01/06/11 15:32, curt evans wrote:
                              > Thanks, Monica, have made a note!
                              >
                              > By the way, James Prichard of Langtail told me he is holding off further
                              > reprints of additional GA authors pending an assessment of his sales with
                              > the current list. So I gather if people want him to keep reprinting, they
                              > had better buy! He expressed an interest in doing J. J. Connington (another
                              > author I write about), but I don’t know whether this will ever really
                              > happen
                              > either. It’s been a real struggle. Occasionally a light flashes, but what
                              > one often looks out on is indifferent night.
                              >
                              > Curt

                            • Last Century Detective
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 20, 2011
                                Here's a short, but important, follow-up to my review of Bertus Aafjes' DE VERTRAPTE PIOENROOS (THE TRAMPLED PEONY).

                                Someone left me a comment, in which he noted that there are German translations available of his work and after some digging around I uncovered the following two translations: RICHTER OOKAS FÄLLE and DER TIEBSTAHL IM TEEHAUS. The former is a translation of EEN LADDER TEGEN EEN WOLK (A LADDER AGAINST THE CLOUDS) and the latter is probably THE TRAMPLED PEONY under a different title, DER TIEBSTAHL IM TEEHAUS (THE THEFT AT THE THEA HOUSE) is one of the stories from that collection, but it could also be a compilation of stories from all four short story collections. Hopefully this will prove helpful to some of you in pursuing and sampling these stories for yourself.

                                A link to the full review of THE TRAMPLED PEONY (and the comment): <http://moonlight-detective.blogspot.com/2011/06/solomon-in-kimono.html>