Re: JB Priestley

  • prettysinister
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
      He wrote the novel which became the classic movie THE OLD DARK HOUSE (and various other versions of it). The book is called BENIGHTED. He also wrote the excellent stage mystery AN INSPECTOR CALLS which also became a movie. And although not a pure detective thriller THE DOOMSDAY MEN is a crime thriller.

      John

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Carola" <caroladunn@...> wrote:

      > Did Priestley write any mysteries other than Salt is Leaving?
      >
      > Carola
      >
      > <http://CarolaDunn.Weebly.com> & Facebook
      > Cornish Mysteries: MANNA FROM HADES, A COLOURFUL DEATH
      > Daisy Dalrymple mysteries-England 1920s(#19 SHEER FOLLY)
      > Regencies galore, all now in e-books

    • lizzie hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2011
        I am a dedicated crime fiction reader. I guess I love the comforting format and the closure that crime fiction brings.  But, although it's a long time ago I can remember the joy that 'Angel Pavements' brought me.  Also 'Lost Empires'. As it is a book reminescent of an earlier era, I am surprised that reading it so young it invoked in me so much feeling, but I loved it.  Never found any enjoyment in 'The Good Companions' for which JBP was renowned.
        .
        I think at that time I was also enjoying the books of Angela Thirkell. I still have them all. It is the tongue in cheek humour that I love.

        Like 'Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters'. There are for me some books that just made an impression for life. Since the 1960's whereever I have roamed copy of RHTRBC has roamed with me.

        Happy reading
        Lizzie
        xxx

        He wrote the novel which became the classic movie THE OLD DARK HOUSE (and various other versions of it). The book is called BENIGHTED. He also wrote the excellent stage mystery AN INSPECTOR CALLS which also became a movie. And although not a pure detective thriller THE DOOMSDAY MEN is a crime thriller.

        John

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Carola" <caroladunn@...> wrote:

        > Did Priestley write any mysteries other than Salt is Leaving?
        >
        > Carola
        >
        > <http://CarolaDunn.Weebly.com> & Facebook
        > Cornish Mysteries: MANNA FROM HADES, A COLOURFUL DEATH
        > Daisy Dalrymple mysteries-England 1920s(#19 SHEER FOLLY)
        > Regencies galore, all now in e-books

      • A. Vidro
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          I have read a good many of Priestley's plays and a few of them I'd call mysteries.
          "An Inspector Calls" is his most famous play.
          "Dangerous Corner" was his first play, and it's my favorite stage play by any playwright.  I've even directed it twice.  (Some may argue it's not a mystery, but to each his own.  To me, it's a mystery.)
          "Mystery at Greenfingers" is a locked-room mystery (but disappointing).
          There's another good one whose title I can't come up with at the moment ... about a crook leading an apparently above-board life as a professor, who then pretends to be the crook he really is, to fend off ... well, it's complicated but fun.

        • Taylor401306@cs.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
            In a message dated 3/4/2011 8:31:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            GAdetection@yahoogroups.com writes:
            > There's another good one whose title I can't come up with at the moment
            > ... about a crook leading an apparently above-board life as a professor, who
            > then pretends to be the crook he really is, to fend off ... well, it's
            > complicated but fun.
            That sounds like the Edward G. Robinson movie, "The Amazing Dr.
            Clitterhouse" but that was based on a play by Barre Lyndon.

          • A. Vidro
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
              Today my memory is working better. The title of the Priestley crime play I couldn't come up with last time is: Laburnum Grove (though I might not be spelling it correctly). ... Robinson did a great job in "Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse" ...

              In a message dated 3/4/2011 8:31:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              GAdetection@yahoogroups.com writes:
              > There's another good one whose title I can't come up with at the moment
              > ... about a crook leading an apparently above-board life as a professor, who
              > then pretends to be the crook he really is, to fend off ... well, it's
              > complicated but fun.
              That sounds like the Edward G. Robinson movie, "The Amazing Dr.
              Clitterhouse" but that was based on a play by Barre Lyndon.

            • Carola

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2011
                    Priestley was perhaps one of those Distinguished Visitors like CP Snow
                    or AA Milne who read a few mysteries, decided any fool could write them,
                    dashed one off and was disappointed to find he wasn't immediately
                    acclaimed by all and sundry as the saviour of the genre. I used to enjoy
                    his books when I was younger, but going back to them now I find them
                    facile and naive.

                    http://www.webindexing.biz -- http://learnubuntu.com.au
                    Indexing * Proofreading * Software consultancy and training * Linux