Re: Langtail Press

  • Douglas G.
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2010
      There are 3 issues:

      A) Amazon demands 55% discount off list price, which forces publishers to raise the list price.

      B) If, as I suspect, Langtail uses P.O.D., the unit price they pay is rather high.

      C) Many Golden Age authors do not sell in enough volume to push the price down.

      In short, if there is to be any hope in having such authors again available -- at least in book form -- enthusiasts must be prepared to cover the publisher's costs.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2010
        And I wonder how many of these could be solved by eBook publishing...

        Jon.

        On 08/11/10 06:48, Douglas G. wrote:

        > There are 3 issues:
        >
        > A) Amazon demands 55% discount off list price, which forces publishers
        > to raise the list price.
        >
        > B) If, as I suspect, Langtail uses P.O.D., the unit price they pay is
        > rather high.
        >
        > C) Many Golden Age authors do not sell in enough volume to push the
        > price down.
        >
        > In short, if there is to be any hope in having such authors again
        > available -- at least in book form -- enthusiasts must be prepared to
        > cover the publisher's costs.
        >
        > Doug
      • pennsnakes
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2010
          De-lurking for a moment... Doug brings up some interesting points. In regard to POD, assuming the press works with the primary POD print provider (Lightning Source), they can actually offer a nominal 20% discount and still sell through Amazon and other online channels. (That's what I do.) But, as noted, print costs per copy are higher than with traditionally printed texts.

          Regarding ebooks, they wouldn't necessarily be that much cheaper than the print copy. If a Kindle version was offered, Amazon requires a 65% discount for "public domain" titles. They've only recently changed their policies to offer a better deal for non-pd material. Epub ebooks for distribution through iBookstore require a 35% discount, and Apple has a whole set of rules as to how much you can price a given title. (And most major ebook distributors have a contractual clause requiring that the ebook not be sold anywhere else at a higher price, so that has to be taken into consideration.) Given that there are costs involved in creating all the different ebook formats (not to mention royalties and licensing fees), and the publisher has to make some money, the titles won't necessarily end up cheap.

          Chad
          CoachwhipBooks.com

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas G." <crippenlandru@...> wrote:

          > There are 3 issues:
          >
          > A) Amazon demands 55% discount off list price, which forces publishers to raise the list price.
          >
          > B) If, as I suspect, Langtail uses P.O.D., the unit price they pay is rather high.
          >
          > C) Many Golden Age authors do not sell in enough volume to push the price down.
          >
          > In short, if there is to be any hope in having such authors again available -- at least in book form -- enthusiasts must be prepared to cover the publisher's costs.
          >
          > Doug
        • Scott
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2010
            Yeah, I can easily and cheaply pick up second-hand copies of these books on abebooks and Alibris, often in top condition. Why should I pay more for a new reprint?

            I too look forward to reading Carr on my iPhone Kindle. Doug has told me his reasons for not going this route with C & L-- his love for the printed page is too great-- and I respect that, and I'll continue to purchase titles from him because they're unique, and unavailable in any other form. But I don't see any reason to purchase an expensive paperback reprint of HE WHO WHISPERS unless it offers something special in the way of extras.

            - Scott

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2010
              But they WILL cost less than the price of a book to ship to potential
              customers who happen to be outside their local mail zone. Recently I
              ordered four print books from Amazon, and roughly 50% of what I paid
              went to the US postal authorities. How is that helping the cause of
              literature?

              I don't begrudge paying for the work that went into making the books: I
              begrudge paying someone to ferry heavy wads of paper halfway around the
              world.

              Jon.

            • Taylor401306@cs.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2010
                In a message dated 11/10/2010 10:32:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                GAdetection@yahoogroups.com writes:
                > Re: Langtail Press
                > Posted by: "Jon Jermey" jonjermey@... jonpjermey
                > Date: Tue Nov 9, 2010 6:54 pm ((PST))
                >
                > But they WILL cost less than the price of a book to ship to potential
                > customers who happen to be outside their local mail zone. Recently I
                > ordered four print books from Amazon, and roughly 50% of what I paid
                > went to the US postal authorities. How is that helping the cause of
                > literature?
                Well, it is helping the postal service, which is forever threatening to
                close. As long as the postal service is the cheapest way to send packages , I
                hope it continues, plus I've gotten use to my daily dose of snail mail. Don't
                tell me you don't often watch for the postman to (hopefully) brighten your
                day.