John Dickson Carr's Locked-Room Lecture Revisited

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2010
      For JDC fans, the December edition of CADS (Crime and Detective Stories) will include 'A Room With A Clue,' an analysis of Dr. Fell's famous locked-room lecture together with an attempt to identify all the stories Fell alluded to but did not identify.

      I owe a debt of thanks to several of this site's participants for their important contributions (you know who you are). The article names nearly 50 stories, but 17 still remain unidentified.

      Details about CADS can be found at:
      http://www.thrillingdetective.com/trivia/crimetime.html

      John
    • Jeffrey Marks
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2010
        John

        Have you ever read Nine Times Nine by Anthony Boucher? He too gives a
        short analysis and synopsis of Fell's locked-room lecture.

        Jeff

        --
        Jeffrey Marks
        www.jeffreymarks.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2010
          Jeff,
          Boucher was commenting on Carr's classification method and offering one of his own (as did Clayton Rawson in 'Death from a Top Hat,' Derek Smith in 'Whistle Up The Devil,' and at least 4 Japanese authors.) I didn't do that, other than to use Carr's actual words to show that he viewed "locked-room" as a specific subset of the more general "impossible crime."

          Within each classification Carr/Fell cited specific methods without, in most cases, naming the book title or the author. What I concentrated on was identify the books themselves. Fell alluded to 64 books and I, with the help of others (our own Mike Grost supplied several) managed to identify 47 of them.I'm hoping the article will help pinpoint the others.

          John

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
              Jeff,
              Thanks for the suggestion. In fact Brian and I have had many fruitful discussions about it. Bob Adey, Doug Greene, Roland Lacourbe, and Tony Medawar have also reviewed it and made many helpful suggestions (I already mentioned Mike Grost's contribution.)