WSJ article on foreign mystery translations &

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2010
      Seems a shame that the current popularity of foreign mystery translations has not made it easier for Paul Halter's novels to find a U.S. publisher, but I believe that John Pubmire could address this subject better than I can.

      Re: Recent Miss Marple TV adaptations---I find them more enjoyable (or less objectionable) if I pretend that they really aren't Christie/Marple stories at all. They're just mysteries and I try to enjoy them as such. Sometimes they work for me, sometimes they don't. If I want a more faithfull Marple--I just go back to the Hickson's.

      Bob
    • alanjbishop1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2010
        Your post echoes my sentiments exactly!

        I actually enjoy Geraldine McEwan's portrayal as an elderly sleuth, and
        all the twists and turns of her "cases" ... but Agatha Christie and Miss
        Marple they aint! I agree that the Hickson series was the most accurate
        portrayal of the stories, though I would like to point out they were not
        precisely to canon; it is next to impossible to translate any literary
        work to visual art - all one can hope for is a minimal change with any
        changes being handled by a sympathetic - and skilled screenplay writer
        or director.

        In the likely event of not getting either, I'd say sit back and enjoy a
        whodunnit which is like an Agatha Christie!

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <speedymystery@...> wrote:

        > Seems a shame that the current popularity of foreign mystery
        translations has not made it easier for Paul Halter's novels to find a
        U.S. publisher, but I believe that John Pubmire could address this
        subject better than I can.

        > Re: Recent Miss Marple TV adaptations---I find them more enjoyable
        (or less objectionable) if I pretend that they really aren't
        Christie/Marple stories at all. They're just mysteries and I try to
        enjoy them as such. Sometimes they work for me, sometimes they don't.
        If I want a more faithfull Marple--I just go back to the Hickson's.

        > Bob

      • Louise Davis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
          I think the same about the Margaret Rutherford Miss Marple mysteries.
          I've found if I don't think of them as Miss Marple, I like them very
          much and have even ordered them in DVD.
          Louise