Re: P. D. James on Agatha Christie: Fair Criticism? (Spoilers)

  • jeffrey1marks
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
      Curt, that's very true. Christie used a poison that was later used in real life. However, in Why Didn't They Ask Evans?, the victim was shoved off a cliff. The Hollow has a shooting. Murder in the Vicarage and A Murder is Announced -- shot. 4:50 from Paddington -- strangulation.

      Last time I checked all of these are used on a regular basis in real life.

      Jeff

      > I don't know if this is quite a fair criticism either. Obviously you have have these artificial constructs in Christie, like the island in And Then There Were None (though it should be noted that James herself has imitated this scenario in The Skull Beneath the Skin and The Lighthouse), but Christie's actual murder methods aren't that elaborate usually, are they? And isn't she supposed to have been pretty sound on poison? Wasn't the murder method in The Pale Horse actually cribbed by a real life murderer? That means it indeed worked "in real life."
      >
      > Curt

    • Nick Fuller
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2010
        Unnatural Causes has a claustrophobe locked in an iron safe until he dies of a heart attack; he then has his hands chopped off to disguise how he died.  Shroud for a Nightingale has a student nurse poisoned with acid in the feed tube during a demonstration.  These are, of course, everyday, credible methods.