Re: Review: Rice, Craig as Gypsy Rose Lee -- The G String Murders (1941) aka The Strip Tease Murders aka Lady in Burlesque

  • jeffrey1marks
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2010
      > > Everyone seems to agree that Craig Rice was responsible for this book,
      > > but I like to hope that Gypsy Rose (born Rose Louise Hovick) contributed
      > > at least some of the atmosphere and dialogue.

      Jon, actually the conclusion I drew from the research was that Rice did not write the book. First, Gypsy (and her son) were adamant that she had written the book herself, and there were witnesses to the fact that she wrote her own memoirs. Also I could never place Rice in the vicinity of Gypsy at the time the book had to be written. Rice's own words, sadly, could not be trusted. She tended to exaggerate for her own publicity. I believe that Rice might have suggested to Gypsy that she write a mystery novel and even suggested the burlesque background, but ultimately, it was not her work, but Gypsy's.

      Jeff
    • Vegetableduck
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2010
        Well, you convinced me, Jeff! I haven't read the Lee book though.

        Curt