L'Ombre chinoise

  • Mike Blake
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2010
      Curt wondered:
      >> Also does the French title translate literally as
      >> "The Chinese Shadow"? Why Chinese?

      It's the French term for shadow puppetry, so-called because that's
      where it came from:

      > The show began to spread to Europe in the mid-18th century, when
      > French missionaries in China took it back to France in 1767 and put
      > on performances in Paris and Marseilles, causing quite a stir. In
      > time, the Ombres chinoises (French for "Chinese Shadows") with
      > local modification and embellishment, became the Ombres françaises
      > and struck root in the country.

      > The cabaret Le Chat noir ("The Black Cat") produced a number of
      > popular Ombres chinoises shows in the 1880s, organized by the
      > artist Henri Rivière, using up to 20 assistants and a large,
      > oxy-hydrogen back-lit performance area. The Ombres evolved into
      > numerous theatrical productions and had a major influence on
      > phantasmagoria.

      --Excerpts from the Wikipedia article
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_play>

      Thanks, Curt; because of your question I learned something new today!

      --Mike Blake
    • Vegetableduck
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2010
        Thank you, I never would have guessed! I was baffled.

        Curt