Re: Appleby Talks About...?

  • linia_my
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
      Agree!

      It is very useful.

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Håkan Andersson <hakanand@...> wrote:

      > I started reading "Appleby talks About Crime" yesterday when it arrived.
      > Thanks for the book Doug.
      >
      > If I may suggest something, it would be nice if each book that C&L publishes
      > would have a list of the short stories on the web site!
      >
      > /Håkan
      >
      > 2010/3/2 Douglas G. <crippenlandru@...>
      >

      > > APPLEBY TALKS About crime has all 18 previously uncollected stories as
      > > listed in Cooper/Pike. I'll get the list tomorrow.
      > >
      > > Doug
      > >
      > > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com <GAdetection%40yahoogroups.com>, Nick
      > > Fuller <nicodemus_au@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear Doug,
      > > > �
      > > > I'm really looking forward to Appleby Talks Again (reading my last three
      > > Innes novels at the moment: A Family Affair, Going It Alone and The
      > > Mysterious Commission, and rereading Appleby and the Ospreys).� Which
      > > stories are in it?
      > > > �
      > > > Nick

    • Douglas G.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
        Nick and others

        APPLEBY TALKS ABOUT CRIME contains the following previously uncollected stories:

        "A Small Peter Pry." Evening Standard [hereafter, E.S.], 12 August
        1954

        "The Author Changes His Style." E. S., 10 April, 1958; The Saint
        Detective Magazine (U.S.), May 1960, as "News Out of Persia"; The
        Saint Detective Magazine (U.K.), July 1960, as "News Out of Persia."
        [both Saint appearances were included with 3 other stories under
        the collective title "Appleby's Fables"]

        "The Perfect Murder." E.S., 5 August 1955

        "The Scattergood Emeralds." E.S., 10 August 1954; Ellery Queen's
        Mystery Magazine, May 1955, as "True or False?"

        "The Impressionist." E.S., 23 July 1955

        "The Secret in the Woodpile." Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine,
        October 1975; Ellery Queen's Searches and Seizures (Dial, 1975)

        "The General's Wife Is Blackmailed." E.S., 22 April 1957

        "Who Suspects the Postman?" E.S., 9 April 1958; The Saint
        Detective Magazine (U.S.), May 1960, as "In the Bag"; The Saint
        Detective Magazine (U.K.), July 1960, as "In the Bag," [both Saint
        appearances were included with 3 other stories under the collective
        title "Appleby's Fables"]

        "A Change of Face." E.S., 24 April 1957

        "The Theft of the Downing Street Letter." E.S., 25 April 1957

        "The Tinted Diamonds." E.S., 27 April 1957

        "Jerry Does a Good Turn for the Djam." E.S. 7 April 1958

        "The Left-Handed Barber." E.S., 23 April 1957

        "The Party That Never Got Going." E.S., 19 February 1959

        "The Mystery of Paul's 'Posthumous' Portrait." E.S., 8 April
        1958

        "The Inspector Feels the Draught." E.S., 10 April 1958

        "Pelly and Cullis." Verdict of Thirteen, introd. Julian Symons
        (London: Faber & Faber, 1979; New York: Harper & Row, 1979)

        "The Man Who Collected Satchels." E.S., 26 April 1957
        The book also has an evocative Afterword by Innes' daughter, Dr. Margaret Mackintosh Harrison.

        The story-titles were obviously chosen by the newspaper rather than by Innes, but we elected not to change them.

        It really is an honor to be able to publish Michael Innes.

        Doug