Re: Changes to Wiki access

  • pennsnakes
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      > But others seem to have gone into the source code of some fairly obscure pages and inserted invisible links to sites of their own as a hit-boosting measure for marketing. Any revenue they made from this can't have been more than -- literally -- pennies per year I still find it hard to believe that anyone could have wasted their time and mine by doing anything so utterly pointless, but they did. (I find myself looking for a hidden agenda: why THIS page? But it all seems to be totally random.)>

      New list member here, just a couple thoughts that may or may not be of interest. This sort of spam is often bot-originated, so usually automated. Their purpose is not so much to get people to click links, but to put in a few hidden links that they hope won't get noticed. The more links to a site (whether or not anyone clicks on them), the higher the page rank, and Google lists them higher in search results. So it can be quite remunerative for them (the bots usually target a few hundred wikis at a time.) The best way to combat this is putting tighter restrictions on wiki access.

      BTW, I'm a POD publisher, working on a few classic mystery reprint collections. One I'm putting together is a volume including both of the Thornley Colton titles. I noticed on the GADetection wiki (and quite a few other places) that Silver Sandals is given as the alternate (US) title for Thornley Colton, Blind Reader of Hearts. Actually, Thornley Colton, Blind Reader of Hearts was later published in the US as Thornley Colton, Blind Detective. Someone with wiki access may wish to correct this.

      Chad
      CoachwhipBooks.com
    • jon
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        Done, Chad, thanks. Access to the individual author pages on the Wiki is
        still unrestricted, though I will be looking for evidence that new
        applicants are genuine.

        Jon.