"Tom Tiddler's Ground" [was Re: Help needed: Children's Books]

  • Mike Blake
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2010
      Margaret wrote:
      > I suggested John Rowe Townsend as did one of the GOers - perhaps
      > Gumble's Yard which was first published in the early 60s. But when
      > I checked my copy I couldn't find any reference to 'Tom Tiddler's
      > Ground', though oddly enough this is the title of a later book by
      > JRT, too late for your childhood reading. Since JRT often
      > interconects his novels, there could just be a TTG reference in
      > Gumble's Yard which I've not found.

      I discovered something interesting about the phrase, aka "Tom Tidler's
      Ground" or "Tommy Tiddler's Ground."

      It's not a particular place, nor did it first originate in a poem by
      Walter
      del la Mare. It's an ancient children's game, apparently first
      mentioned in print by Dickens.

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Tidler%27s_Ground>

      Not mentioned in the Wiki is that this, as described, is the same game
      American children played under the name (where I grew up) as "King of
      the Mountain." A child would stand on a mound or pile of sand,
      whatever, and yell "I'm the King of the Mountain!" Other children
      would rush up and try to push the monarch aside, then they would take
      the high ground and shout the same thing in turn.

      So it's possible that Townsend mentioned it a number of times without
      there being a connection between the books.

      --Mike Blake