Re: [GAdetection] Bouchercon

  • r-skingsley@att.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
      Doug:
      I am not going this year, but I have my calendar marked
      for 2002 in Austin. I went to the one in Pasadena in
      about 1992 and the one in Nottingham, England in around
      1996 (not sure of dates) and have always enjoyed them--
      especially the book room.

      My sister and I go together and have a great time. Last
      time we met Tony Hillerman and had a pub lunch with
      him. He has really influenced my sister in her
      involvement with the American Indians, and it was such a
      trill for her to meet him and talk with him.

      Have fun. I wish I were going,too.

      Suzanne

    • dgreene@odu.edu
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
        We also plan to be at the Austin B'con--but still nobody but me (I?) at the
        Washignton gathering?

        Nottingham was a great B'con, and we too have a Tony Hillerman story . . .
        for later.

        Doug

        Douglas G. Greene
        Professor of History
        Old Dominion University
        Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
        Phone 757 683-3949
      • William F. Deeck
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
          I will be at the D.C. Bouchercon, but it is dubious whether I will have time
          to attend it.

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2002
            Hello All:
            Are there any of you going to Bouchercon this year? If so, it would be nice
            for us all to meet at some point. Let me know if you are and we can set up
            a time and place. I will be leaving on Monday.

            Doug, I will see you at your discussion. I have it circled to attend.

            Suzanne

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2002
              Hi, Suzanne! It's great to hear from you. I hope you are well and reading lots of good and mysterious things. I, for one, have been going from the Saint to Bulldog Drummond and loving every thrilling minute of it. I've also recently read Edgar Wallace's THE ANGEL OF TERROR and found it to be one of his stronger works. I would certainly recommend it.

              I wish I could meet you at the Bouchercon. It would be fun to put some faces with the voices. Have a great time!

              All my best,

              Richard

              Sorry, I cannot recall the titles, but think that "Death in a Deck Chair"
              might be one. All were university library books borrowed at some time
              between 1967-1974. I do have one I purchsed somewhere in my stored books
              room.

              Kennedy seems to have been a "major-minor" player in the 1930s. He
              contributed chapters to some of the collaborations of the Detection Club and
              seems to have been frequently anthologized.

              Enrique F. Bird Picó

              Business:
              Telephone ==> (787) 751-4343 ext. 6343 Cellular ==> (787)
              319-7983 Beeper ==> (787) 250-0140 unidad 389-6131
              Fax ==> (787) 764-2908 Email ==> ebird@...
              Personal:
              Telephone ==> (787) 757-3909 Email ==> enfbirdp@...
              Address ==> Urb. Berwind Estates
              E1 Calle 7
              San Juan, PR 00924-5745

            • Suzanne Kingsley
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 11, 2002
                Richard:
                Thanks for the nice reply. I have been reading very few mysteries during
                the summer. Lately I have been busy reading the nominees for the upcoming
                awards at Bouchercon, which has taken me from my regular reading list.

                I just checked my shelves for The Angel of Terror and see that I don't have
                that particular book. It will give me something to look for in the book
                room at Bouchercon. Thanks for the recommendation. You have always come
                through with good suggestions in the past, so I am sure this will be great.

                Wish you were coming to Bouchercon, too. I have not forgotten about the
                Golden Age concept for a future Bouchercon. This year while I am in Austin,
                I will try to make some contacts and see how to go about getting The Golden
                Age reading emphasized. I will report back to the group if I have any
                luck.

                Suzanne

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 11, 2002
                  Suzanne- If you have trouble finding The Angel of Terror at Bouchercon you could always order it from House of Stratus. All you have to do is e-mail Lucy at lmurray@... and she can place the order for you. Lucy's very nice to deal with and she's in America!

                  By the way, Angel still has some flaws in it that Wallace was famous for, but his portrait of Jean Briggerland is one of the greatest characterizations I have read of his. She is a villain's villain: a woman who can EASILY stand side by side with Professor Moriarty and Dr. Fu Manchu. It was clear as the book progresses that Wallace began to truly love this character and she REALLY begins to dominate the story. Besides, anyone that uses a small-poxed child as a murder weapon can't be all bad. All I kept thinking was what a great movie this would make. Emily Watson, so very brilliant in Red Dragon, Gosford Park, etc. would be a good choice. So there you have it.

                  Again, have a great time. Safe travel and may you meet many famous people who instantly adore you. Like they wouldn't...!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 12, 2002
                    Richard:
                    Thanks for the additional information on Angel. I love hunting for specific
                    books, but if I should not find it in the book room, I will give Lucy a
                    call. There are some other books I have been meaning to order from them.

                    I am very excited to be going to Bouchercon. It has been quite a few years
                    since I have been and the panel discussions and talks look like a lot of
                    fun. With 8 different topics per time slot to choose from, it is hard to
                    narrow it down.

                    I will let you know all about it when I return.

                    Suzanne

                    Sorry, I cannot recall the titles, but think that "Death in a Deck Chair"
                    might be one. All were university library books borrowed at some time
                    between 1967-1974. I do have one I purchsed somewhere in my stored books
                    room.

                    Kennedy seems to have been a "major-minor" player in the 1930s. He
                    contributed chapters to some of the collaborations of the Detection Club and
                    seems to have been frequently anthologized.

                    Enrique F. Bird Picó

                    Business:
                    Telephone ==> (787) 751-4343 ext. 6343 Cellular ==> (787)
                    319-7983 Beeper ==> (787) 250-0140 unidad 389-6131
                    Fax ==> (787) 764-2908 Email ==> ebird@...
                    Personal:
                    Telephone ==> (787) 757-3909 Email ==> enfbirdp@...
                    Address ==> Urb. Berwind Estates
                    E1 Calle 7
                    San Juan, PR 00924-5745

                  • Donna Goldthwaite
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 13, 2002
                      Hi,

                      Suzanne wrote:

                      >Hello All:
                      >Are there any of you going to Bouchercon this year? If so, it would be nice
                      >for us all to meet at some point. Let me know if you are and we can set up
                      >a time and place. I will be leaving on Monday.
                      >
                      >Doug, I will see you at your discussion. I have it circled to attend.

                      Sorry I'm so late in responding. Although I mostly lurk here, I did want to
                      let Suzanne know that I will be at Bouchercon. Leaving tomorrow on the
                      train, and arriving late on Wednesday.

                      I'm staying at the convention hotel, if anyone would like to call and
                      arrange to meet. Also, I plan to attend the GA program on Thursday at noon
                      <assuming I'm registered by that time>, and Doug's program, as well.
                      Perhaps we could get together then?

                      Best,

                      Donna Goldthwaite

                      Donna Goldthwaite
                      dgold.javanet@...
                      http://www.geocities.com/donnagoldthwaite

                      ...nothing is more fatal to maidenly delicacy of speech than the run of a
                      good library.
                      Robertson Davies
                    • Douglas Greene
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 13, 2002
                        I arrive at Austin airport at 11:40 a.m. on Thursday and my first panel is
                        at 3:00. Hope the plane is on time, and there is a quick way to getting
                        into town from the airport.

                        I have another panel DSaturday at 3:00.

                        Whatever happens, I look forward to putting faces to the names of GAD'ers.

                        Doug

                        Douglas G. Greene
                        Professor of History
                        Old Dominion University
                        Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
                        Phone 757 683-3949
                      • Douglas Greene
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                          Will any GAD'ers be at the Bouchercon next week? I'd love to hoist a pint
                          or two with you in Vegas!

                          Doug

                          Douglas G. Greene
                          Professor of History
                          Old Dominion University
                          Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
                          Phone 757 683-3949
                        • Douglas G. Greene
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 30, 2005
                            I'll be at the Bouchercon in Chicago Thursday until Sunday. I hope to
                            see some of you there.

                            Doug G
                          • jeffrey1marks
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                              Will anyone be at Bouchercon? I'll be there tomorrow. I'm speaking on writing biographies of mystery writers along with Les Klinger, Elena Santangelo, Julia Jones, and Craig McDonald from 3-4pm

                              Jeff
                            • Douglas G.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                                I'll also be at the B'con, will attend Jeff's panel, vote for his book for an Anthony, and hope some other GADers will attend as well.

                                Doug G