Re: [Prehistoric_Horror]Ellery Queen

  • hakanander
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      > French Powder Mystery" written in 1932 (the best novel of the entire EQ
      > series, and why it has never been filmed I don't know), the preface by EQ's
      > friend "J.J. McC" states that EQ is retired, married, and living in Italy.

      Actually, The French Powder Mystery is the second EQ novel and it was published in 1930 (not 1932).

      And how it could be considered "the best novel of the entire EQ series" is certainly beyond me. The writing is stiff, some parts of the plot (the system which the criminals uses for communicate through writings in books in a book store) is terrible silly and the finding of the culprit is at the end just a question of the elimination of everyone else as the murderer, alas him/her must be the murderer.

      /Håkan
    • Enrique F. Bird
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        Friends,

        Mild dissent; I rate French Powder very high, perhaps just below Greek
        Coffin among the original 9!

        Best regards,

        Enrique F. Bird Picó

        _____

        > French Powder Mystery" written in 1932 (the best novel of the entire EQ
        > series, and why it has never been filmed I don't know), the preface by
        EQ's
        > friend "J.J. McC" states that EQ is retired, married, and living in Italy.

        Actually, The French Powder Mystery is the second EQ novel and it was
        published in 1930 (not 1932).

        And how it could be considered "the best novel of the entire EQ series" is
        certainly beyond me. The writing is stiff, some parts of the plot (the
        system which the criminals uses for communicate through writings in books in
        a book store) is terrible silly and the finding of the culprit is at the end
        just a question of the elimination of everyone else as the murderer, alas
        him/her must be the murderer.

        /Håkan

      • Nick Fuller
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          I think it's one of the very best - certainly up there with Siamese Twin, Greek Coffin, Tragedy of X, and The Adventures.  It has in-depth detection, a complicated time-table (always a good thing), a masterly exposition, and a genuinely surprising murderer.