Re: [GAdetection] Bouchercon

  • dgreene@odu.edu
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 7, 2001
      Are any of you planning to be at the Bouchercon in DC the first weekend in
      November? I'll be there, and I look forward to meeting GA Detective folks.

      Doug

      Douglas G. Greene
      Professor of History
      Old Dominion University
      Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
      Phone 757 683-3949
    • r-skingsley@att.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
        Doug:
        I am not going this year, but I have my calendar marked
        for 2002 in Austin. I went to the one in Pasadena in
        about 1992 and the one in Nottingham, England in around
        1996 (not sure of dates) and have always enjoyed them--
        especially the book room.

        My sister and I go together and have a great time. Last
        time we met Tony Hillerman and had a pub lunch with
        him. He has really influenced my sister in her
        involvement with the American Indians, and it was such a
        trill for her to meet him and talk with him.

        Have fun. I wish I were going,too.

      • r-skingsley@att.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
          Doug:
          I am not going this year, but I have my calendar marked
          for 2002 in Austin. I went to the one in Pasadena in
          about 1992 and the one in Nottingham, England in around
          1996 (not sure of dates) and have always enjoyed them--
          especially the book room.

          My sister and I go together and have a great time. Last
          time we met Tony Hillerman and had a pub lunch with
          him. He has really influenced my sister in her
          involvement with the American Indians, and it was such a
          trill for her to meet him and talk with him.

          Have fun. I wish I were going,too.

          Suzanne

        • dgreene@odu.edu
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
            We also plan to be at the Austin B'con--but still nobody but me (I?) at the
            Washignton gathering?

            Nottingham was a great B'con, and we too have a Tony Hillerman story . . .
            for later.

            Doug

            Douglas G. Greene
            Professor of History
            Old Dominion University
            Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
            Phone 757 683-3949
          • William F. Deeck
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 9, 2001
              I will be at the D.C. Bouchercon, but it is dubious whether I will have time
              to attend it.

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 10, 2002
                Hello All:
                Are there any of you going to Bouchercon this year? If so, it would be nice
                for us all to meet at some point. Let me know if you are and we can set up
                a time and place. I will be leaving on Monday.

                Doug, I will see you at your discussion. I have it circled to attend.

                Suzanne

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2002
                  Hi, Suzanne! It's great to hear from you. I hope you are well and reading lots of good and mysterious things. I, for one, have been going from the Saint to Bulldog Drummond and loving every thrilling minute of it. I've also recently read Edgar Wallace's THE ANGEL OF TERROR and found it to be one of his stronger works. I would certainly recommend it.

                  I wish I could meet you at the Bouchercon. It would be fun to put some faces with the voices. Have a great time!

                  All my best,

                  Richard

                  Sorry, I cannot recall the titles, but think that "Death in a Deck Chair"
                  might be one. All were university library books borrowed at some time
                  between 1967-1974. I do have one I purchsed somewhere in my stored books
                  room.

                  Kennedy seems to have been a "major-minor" player in the 1930s. He
                  contributed chapters to some of the collaborations of the Detection Club and
                  seems to have been frequently anthologized.

                  Enrique F. Bird Picó

                  Business:
                  Telephone ==> (787) 751-4343 ext. 6343 Cellular ==> (787)
                  319-7983 Beeper ==> (787) 250-0140 unidad 389-6131
                  Fax ==> (787) 764-2908 Email ==> ebird@...
                  Personal:
                  Telephone ==> (787) 757-3909 Email ==> enfbirdp@...
                  Address ==> Urb. Berwind Estates
                  E1 Calle 7
                  San Juan, PR 00924-5745

                • Suzanne Kingsley
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 11, 2002
                    Richard:
                    Thanks for the nice reply. I have been reading very few mysteries during
                    the summer. Lately I have been busy reading the nominees for the upcoming
                    awards at Bouchercon, which has taken me from my regular reading list.

                    I just checked my shelves for The Angel of Terror and see that I don't have
                    that particular book. It will give me something to look for in the book
                    room at Bouchercon. Thanks for the recommendation. You have always come
                    through with good suggestions in the past, so I am sure this will be great.

                    Wish you were coming to Bouchercon, too. I have not forgotten about the
                    Golden Age concept for a future Bouchercon. This year while I am in Austin,
                    I will try to make some contacts and see how to go about getting The Golden
                    Age reading emphasized. I will report back to the group if I have any
                    luck.

                    Suzanne

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 11, 2002
                      Suzanne- If you have trouble finding The Angel of Terror at Bouchercon you could always order it from House of Stratus. All you have to do is e-mail Lucy at lmurray@... and she can place the order for you. Lucy's very nice to deal with and she's in America!

                      By the way, Angel still has some flaws in it that Wallace was famous for, but his portrait of Jean Briggerland is one of the greatest characterizations I have read of his. She is a villain's villain: a woman who can EASILY stand side by side with Professor Moriarty and Dr. Fu Manchu. It was clear as the book progresses that Wallace began to truly love this character and she REALLY begins to dominate the story. Besides, anyone that uses a small-poxed child as a murder weapon can't be all bad. All I kept thinking was what a great movie this would make. Emily Watson, so very brilliant in Red Dragon, Gosford Park, etc. would be a good choice. So there you have it.

                      Again, have a great time. Safe travel and may you meet many famous people who instantly adore you. Like they wouldn't...!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 12, 2002
                        Richard:
                        Thanks for the additional information on Angel. I love hunting for specific
                        books, but if I should not find it in the book room, I will give Lucy a
                        call. There are some other books I have been meaning to order from them.

                        I am very excited to be going to Bouchercon. It has been quite a few years
                        since I have been and the panel discussions and talks look like a lot of
                        fun. With 8 different topics per time slot to choose from, it is hard to
                        narrow it down.

                        I will let you know all about it when I return.

                        Suzanne

                        Sorry, I cannot recall the titles, but think that "Death in a Deck Chair"
                        might be one. All were university library books borrowed at some time
                        between 1967-1974. I do have one I purchsed somewhere in my stored books
                        room.

                        Kennedy seems to have been a "major-minor" player in the 1930s. He
                        contributed chapters to some of the collaborations of the Detection Club and
                        seems to have been frequently anthologized.

                        Enrique F. Bird Picó

                        Business:
                        Telephone ==> (787) 751-4343 ext. 6343 Cellular ==> (787)
                        319-7983 Beeper ==> (787) 250-0140 unidad 389-6131
                        Fax ==> (787) 764-2908 Email ==> ebird@...
                        Personal:
                        Telephone ==> (787) 757-3909 Email ==> enfbirdp@...
                        Address ==> Urb. Berwind Estates
                        E1 Calle 7
                        San Juan, PR 00924-5745

                      • Donna Goldthwaite
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 13, 2002
                          Hi,

                          Suzanne wrote:

                          >Hello All:
                          >Are there any of you going to Bouchercon this year? If so, it would be nice
                          >for us all to meet at some point. Let me know if you are and we can set up
                          >a time and place. I will be leaving on Monday.
                          >
                          >Doug, I will see you at your discussion. I have it circled to attend.

                          Sorry I'm so late in responding. Although I mostly lurk here, I did want to
                          let Suzanne know that I will be at Bouchercon. Leaving tomorrow on the
                          train, and arriving late on Wednesday.

                          I'm staying at the convention hotel, if anyone would like to call and
                          arrange to meet. Also, I plan to attend the GA program on Thursday at noon
                          <assuming I'm registered by that time>, and Doug's program, as well.
                          Perhaps we could get together then?

                          Best,

                          Donna Goldthwaite

                          Donna Goldthwaite
                          dgold.javanet@...
                          http://www.geocities.com/donnagoldthwaite

                          ...nothing is more fatal to maidenly delicacy of speech than the run of a
                          good library.
                          Robertson Davies
                        • Douglas Greene
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 13, 2002
                            I arrive at Austin airport at 11:40 a.m. on Thursday and my first panel is
                            at 3:00. Hope the plane is on time, and there is a quick way to getting
                            into town from the airport.

                            I have another panel DSaturday at 3:00.

                            Whatever happens, I look forward to putting faces to the names of GAD'ers.

                            Doug

                            Douglas G. Greene
                            Professor of History
                            Old Dominion University
                            Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
                            Phone 757 683-3949
                          • Douglas Greene
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                              Will any GAD'ers be at the Bouchercon next week? I'd love to hoist a pint
                              or two with you in Vegas!

                              Doug

                              Douglas G. Greene
                              Professor of History
                              Old Dominion University
                              Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
                              Phone 757 683-3949
                            • Douglas G. Greene
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 30, 2005
                                I'll be at the Bouchercon in Chicago Thursday until Sunday. I hope to
                                see some of you there.

                                Doug G
                              • jeffrey1marks
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                                  Will anyone be at Bouchercon? I'll be there tomorrow. I'm speaking on writing biographies of mystery writers along with Les Klinger, Elena Santangelo, Julia Jones, and Craig McDonald from 3-4pm

                                  Jeff
                                • Douglas G.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 14, 2009
                                    I'll also be at the B'con, will attend Jeff's panel, vote for his book for an Anthony, and hope some other GADers will attend as well.

                                    Doug G