Re: [GAdetection] Candidates for Grandmaster

  • RICHARD LIEDHOLM
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2002
      John Mortimer, hands down. And with a new Rumpole on the way, the timing couldn't be better!

      Richard

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2002
        Agree, totally.

        But what would Rumpole be like as straight fiction, without the Leo
        McKern presentation? Colin Dexter actually changed Morse over time to
        make him more like the Thaw portrayal. Sometimes an actor can take
        over the prototype. I wish Christie had lived to see Joan Hickson as
        Miss Marple instead of having to put up with those awful
        impersonations by Margaret Rutherford. She might even have liked the
        Suchet Poirot's -- he fits the character well -- if the TV
        presentations hadn't been so dreadfully boring, especially the ones
        based on minor short stories.

        By the way, does Leo McKern have a glass eye? I've always noticed
        something awry there, but nobody has ever mentioned it that I know of.

        --- In GAdetection@y..., "RICHARD LIEDHOLM" <jandrliedholm@m...>
        wrote:
        > John Mortimer, hands down. And with a new Rumpole on the way, the
        timing couldn't be better!

        > Richard

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Douglas Greene
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2002
          Grandmaster? Colin Dexter. Marcia Muller. Peter Lovesey.

          Doug

          Douglas G. Greene
          Professor of History
          Old Dominion University
          Norfolk, VA 23529-0091
          Phone 757 683-3949
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2002
            Oh yes! They really deserve it, especially if you think of the way MWA have been standing them up for years (Dexter never had an Edgar nomination!).

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2002
              Oh, yeah, Doug! I forgot about Peter Lovesey...ABSOLUTELY!

              Richard