Multiple Responses

  • Richard.A.Liedholm@HealthPartners.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2001
      Hello, I was away on holiday and I see that everyone has been pretty busy
      commenting on various things. Here's my quick responses to many of the
      recent remarks and subjects...

      Clemence Dane: Never heard of her. I guess ignorance is bliss. I enjoyed
      the lively discussions though.

      M.R. James: One of the great ghost story writers of the 20th century.
      Wonderful stuff. I think I enjoy E.F. Benson more, though I would admit
      that James is more scary.

      Ghost stories: Love or leave them?: Adrienne, I think we had this type of
      discussion when we talked about Dickens. It's all a personal preference and
      there is no right or wrong. I think we can ALL agree on that.

      Hitchcock's MURDER: O to be sure, far, far from being his best movie. And
      I really should go back and watch it again. However, it is interesting to
      watch his style developing in his early British films. What really
      sabotages them for me (pun intended, by the way) is the poor production
      quality of his early films. Sometimes they are hard to see and hard to
      hear. Gosh, it's tough getting old!

      THE SMILER WITH THE KNIFE: One of the greatest thrillers of the 30s. Very,
      very, very entertaining. It is screaming to be made into a film.

      DEATH AT THE BAR: Clever, but not one of Marsh's best. For me, I found the
      middle section to be slow.

      Settings: I, like Christian, have a fondness for murder on a mode of
      transport (boats, trains, trolley cars), but I guess I never would go out of
      my way to read a book based just on the setting. I usually hope that the
      book is well written, that the characters are interesting and the plot well
      thought out. A nice setting is just a bonus.
      However, I agree that certain settings do attract people for different
      reasons. I guess maybe it depends on what personal experience we bring the
      books we read.

      There you go! I hope everyone is gearing up for the Fall (or Spring
      depending on what part of the world you're in!)

      With tongue in cheek and with diplomatic hat firmly in place,

      Richard