Re: Clemence Dane

  • chenrik@tiscali.se
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
      --- In GAdetection@y..., "Ralph, Adrienne (REA-PtMelb)"
      <Adrienne.Ralph@r...> wrote:
      > I must say I'm rather disappointed in your attitude Christian.
      >
      > There I was assiduously pursuing the key tenets of rumour-mongering:
      > 1 Maintain and where possible enlarge on the rumour in the face of
      > the evidence.
      > 2 Ignore all facts unless they support or do not contradict the
      > rumour.

      I'm truly sorry to have spoiled this fine rumour, but of course you
      are welcome to ignore my well-researched facts and go on assuming
      anything you like about this great Dane.

      > Finally the group stumbled upon an opportunity to propagate a
      > rumour about the GAD era redolent with the hallmarks of some of our
      > favourite authors, and you insist on scotching it:
      > 1 Mistaken identity.
      > 2 Possible mistaken gender attribution (see Speedy Death). Are we
      > sure of anyone with a name like Clemence? And we all know about
      > Danes as a red herring.

      Do we? I thought Danes were known for their pastry, not for their
      fish.

      > And the things we could have done with Dane/Simpson:
      > 1 Ran off with Agatha Christie's first husband.
      > 2 Ran off with Agatha Christie.

      Or both! Maybe not at the same time, though.

      > Well I could go on, but if I have this intransigent insistence upon
      > fact and conformism it certainly limits my options...

      I tend to suspect Dane of being a real bloodhound, myself.

      Christian Henriksson