Clemence Dane--Pseudonyms' Corner

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
      Imagine! A theory could be devised stating that
      Clemence Dane, Helen Simpson, M.R. James (who came
      back from the dead as a ghost in order to write
      detective stories), Gladys Mitchell, Malcolm Torrie,
      R.C. Ashby, H.C. Bailey, and G.K. Chesterton were all
      the same individual. I am also Dane / Simpson / James
      / Mitchell / etc. writing under a pseudonym.

      Regards,

      "Nick Fuller" (obviously a pseudonym of A. Non, alias
      U.N. Owen)

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
        --- In GAdetection@y..., "Ralph, Adrienne (REA-PtMelb)"
        <Adrienne.Ralph@r...> wrote:
        > I must say I'm rather disappointed in your attitude Christian.
        >
        > There I was assiduously pursuing the key tenets of rumour-mongering:
        > 1 Maintain and where possible enlarge on the rumour in the face of
        > the evidence.
        > 2 Ignore all facts unless they support or do not contradict the
        > rumour.

        I'm truly sorry to have spoiled this fine rumour, but of course you
        are welcome to ignore my well-researched facts and go on assuming
        anything you like about this great Dane.

        > Finally the group stumbled upon an opportunity to propagate a
        > rumour about the GAD era redolent with the hallmarks of some of our
        > favourite authors, and you insist on scotching it:
        > 1 Mistaken identity.
        > 2 Possible mistaken gender attribution (see Speedy Death). Are we
        > sure of anyone with a name like Clemence? And we all know about
        > Danes as a red herring.

        Do we? I thought Danes were known for their pastry, not for their
        fish.

        > And the things we could have done with Dane/Simpson:
        > 1 Ran off with Agatha Christie's first husband.
        > 2 Ran off with Agatha Christie.

        Or both! Maybe not at the same time, though.

        > Well I could go on, but if I have this intransigent insistence upon
        > fact and conformism it certainly limits my options...

        I tend to suspect Dane of being a real bloodhound, myself.

        Christian Henriksson