Re: Commentary on Clues of the Caribbees, T. S. Stribling

  • Douglas G. Greene
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      In the first group of Poggioli stories, collected in CLUES OF THE CARIBBES, Stribling is subversive of the classical form -- Poggioli almost always misreads the clues, and the final story is a real shocker.

      In the second group, which we (Crippen & Landru) published as DR. POGGIOLI: CRIMINOLOGIST, edited by Arthur Vidro, the stories are more typically detective tales, but often with social implications. Despite using ethnic stereotypes, Stribling had an unusually sensitive attitude toward the plight of African-Americans in the South -- for which he was criticized by other southern writers.

      The third group, written primarily for EQMM and collected (with a handful of exceptions, in BEST DR. POGGIOLI DETECTIVE STORIES, also plays with ideas though in a less serious way. In fact, they sometimes become so playful as to be a bit loopy.

      Doug G
    • alfredjunkyardgreen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, pharrin107@... wrote:

        > An island discovered by the Spanish, but with East Indians in large
        > numbers on it? But they did do business and trade on the island.

        Indians have been a big part of the windies ever since they migrated there as identured labor during British colonial times. I believe Nobel prize winner Naipaul hails from there.
        More info
        (academic)
        http://www.caribvoice.org/CaribbeanDocuments/Indians.html
        (wiki)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Trinidadian
      • pharrin107@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
          In a message dated 6/1/2009 9:37:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, alfredjun
          kyardgreen@... writes:

          Indians have been a big part of the windies ever since they migrated there
          as indentured labor during British colonial times. I believe Nobel prize
          winner Naipaul hails from there.
          More info
          (academic

          My apologies for not mentioning that. That's a case of being too narrow
          in focus and sloppy in my assumptions. And I appreciate being corrected and
          informed.

          And yes, Naipaul is from Trinidad and a Nobel prize winner. It is
          interesting that it was in some, but not across the board, that Indians were
          imported to the West Indies. In Antigua and Barbuda it was primarily Africans
          and also some Lebanese and Portuguese who came during colonial times. (The
          latter, more as tradesman, etc.) The more peaceful Arawak Indians and
          Caribs were used, but with little success. The Arawak Indians died and became
          ill from the hard labor and food that was alien to their usual diet from
          the sea. And the Caribs were too fierce fighters to be captured and used on
          the plantations. What is fascinating is how disparate the many islands
          are, yet with common ties of conquest by European countries.

          When on Barbados, I learned about "redlegs," who were Irish/Scotch slaves
          sent to some of the islands. I protested that the Irish probably were
          brought as indentured servants. However, recently I read where Cromwell did
          capture and sell some of the two native nationals to landowners in the
          islands. This information was in an article published in an Irish newspaper. It
          mentioned efforts to consider making reparation to descendents of the
          "redlegs."

          I welcome being corrected or informed more on the above subjects.

          Pat Harrington
          Patricia Harrington, Mystery Author
          Live life one day . . . one page at a time.
          www.patriciaharrington.com
          Steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
          eExcfooterNO62)