RE: [GAdetection] Clemence Dane, Helen Simpson, Sir John Samourez, and Dorothy

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
      I once obtained a book of cryptic Observer crosswords dating from the 30s
      and 40s. Each crossword had a 'theme' which was supposed to allow the solver
      to work out some of the unclued words - but the solver had to work out what
      the theme was. One theme turned out to be 'famous detectives', and at least
      half of the dozen or so 'famous detectives' from that period were characters
      I had never heard of. I would probably score a little better now, but not
      much.

      We have a lot of reclamation work to do..