RE: [GAdetection] Re: Kenneth Hopkins

  • Dean James
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
      According to the 1980 edition of Al Hubin's bibliography:

      Hector Kenneth Hopkins was born in 1914 and also wrote as Christopher Adams.
      He published 7 novels as Hopkins, as follows:

      Body Blow. Macdonald, 1962; Holt, 1962 (B&M)

      Campus Corpse. Macdonald, 1963 (GL)

      Dead Against My Principles. Macdonald, 1960; Holt, 1964 (B&M)

      The Forty-First Passenger. Macdonald, 1960; Holt, 1962 (GL)

      The Girl Who Died. Macdonald, 1955 (GL)

      Pierce with a Pin. Macdonald, 1960 (GL)

      She Died Because. . Macdonald, 1957; Holt, 1964 (B&M)

      B&M = Blow & Manciple

      GL = Gerry Lee

      As Christopher Adams, he published one novel:

      Amateur Agent. Boardman, 1964

      Cheers,

      Dean

      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
        Thanks, Dean - I've updated the Wiki. It's always exciting to come
        across a new name.

        Jon.

        Dean James wrote:
        > According to the 1980 edition of Al Hubin's bibliography:
        >

        > Hector Kenneth Hopkins was born in 1914 and also wrote as Christopher Adams.
        > He published 7 novels as Hopkins, as follows:

      • vegetableduck
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
          Barzun and Taylor's Catalogue of Crime is dismissive:

          Dead Against My Principles

          A semicomic tale, not particularly well-written, about corpse substitution on the Isle of Wight. A deep-freeze unit and blackmail are involved, as well as three very old people--an old maid and two bachelors--who act as a triune detective. They are to be shunned.

          I seem to recall this title was reprinted in paperback in the 1980s? I looked it up in COC and passed.

          Curt

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Jon Jermey <jonjermey@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Dean - I've updated the Wiki. It's always exciting to come
          > across a new name.
          >
          > Jon.
          >
          > Dean James wrote:
          > > According to the 1980 edition of Al Hubin's bibliography:
          > >

          > > Hector Kenneth Hopkins was born in 1914 and also wrote as Christopher Adams.
          > > He published 7 novels as Hopkins, as follows:

        • Allen J Hubin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
            And I can also add that he died in 1988. He also has an
            entry in Contemporary Authors.

            Al Hubin
            Digital Photography - Click Now.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmRuD0frT16fjyJfamVC8dEsgMS0pbd7MMioz660edvGRBm6akw/
          • ddjames48@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
              Fellow GADers:

              A friend of mine operates a small press, and he has been reprinting, with some success, out of print novels by some contemporary writers. He is interested in perhaps reprinting classic crime fiction that is now in the public domain. I told him this group might be able to suggest some wonderful books that have fallen into obscurity but that deserve a readership nevertheless. The kicker, of course, is that it would have to be titles in the public domain, but if any of you would like to suggest titles for reprint, I'll be happy to pass them along to him.

              cheers,
              Dean James
              ddjames48@... if you'd rather email me privately
            • dave smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
                Try the red house mystery, My copy is too well thumbed

                A friend of mine operates a small press, and he has been reprinting, with some success, out of print novels by some contemporary writers. He is interested in perhaps reprinting classic crime fiction that is now in the public domain. I told him this group might be able to suggest some wonderful books that have fallen into obscurity but that deserve a readership nevertheless. The kicker, of course, is that it would have to be titles in the public domain, but if any of you would like to suggest titles for reprint, I'll be happy to pass them along to him.

                cheers,

                Dean James

                ddjames48@comcast. net if you'd rather email me privately

              • vegetableduck
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
                  Right about the time that Catalogue of Crime review came out! ;)

                  Curt