Re: dumb American millionaires

  • mr.molesack
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Carola Dunn <caroladunn@...>
      wrote:

      > >>I get sick of Americans always being presented
      > as long-named, ignorant millionaires from the Midwest too.>>
      >
      > John Buchan had a very savvy American millionaire in the Richard
      Hannay
      > books.
      >
      > On the other hand, his remarks on the characteristic shape of the
      German
      > head are beyond belief...

      I re-read GREENMANTLE recently, and was surprised at how modern most
      of his attitudes are. There are some comments about the need for
      mercy to the average German that would not have been as easy to make
      in 1916 as they are now.

      As regards non-stereotyped American millionaires....

      Julius Hersheimmer in Christie's THE SECRET ADVERSARY.

      Rex van Ryn in Dennis Wheatley's thrillers (3 INQUISITIVE PEOPLE etc).
    • Gordonsmith2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        Yes, but he does have a nice German, Gaudian, in Greenmantle (who also pops up in the 3 Hostages, (I think) and there is the very touching scene with the poor woodcutter's family in the same book.? If JB had a problem, it's that he could rarely whack up enough ire to do a really decent villain, so Stumm is to be enjoyed, rather than otherwise, as one of his few really nasty characters - even if he does have an odd head!? Tommy Beresford made much the same observation in N or M.? Fighting World Wars probably doesn't make for the most balanced outlook.
        Cheers,
        Dolores
        www.doloresgordon-smith.co.uk

        >>I get sick of Americans always being presented
        as long-named, ignorant millionaires from the Midwest too.>>

        John Buchan had a very savvy American millionaire in the Richard Hannay
        books.

        On the other hand, his remarks on the characteristic shape of the German
        head are beyond belief...

        Carola
        www.geocities.com/CarolaDunn/ Facebook:http://tinyurl.com/99kwll
        Daisy Dalrymple mysteries-England 1920s-hc,pb,audio,LP
        BLACK SHIP--Daisy tangles with bootleggers (#17) IMBA BESTSELLER
        THE BLOODY TOWER-More death at the Tower of London!(#16) IMBA BESTSELLER
        Blog: http://tinyurl.com/66q19u ebooks: www.RegencyReads.com