Scandinavian Crime Fiction

  • Ian Gomersall
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
      I'm currently reading crime fiction from Scandinavia and was wondering
      if anyone could recommend any 'Golden Age' detective fiction by a
      Scandinavian author, or, for that matter, set in a Scandinavian country.

      Best wishes.
    • Tony Medawar
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
        Aurora Ljungstedt

        http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3760/is_200607/ai_n17185261/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2008
          Hi Ian:

          You might want to read my review of "Locked Rooms and Open Spaces," a
          book comprised exclusively of locked-room mysteries written my Swedish
          authors, in the "Suggested Reading" page of my website,
          www.halwhitebooks.com.

          Hal

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Gomersall" <ian.gomersall@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm currently reading crime fiction from Scandinavia and was
          wondering
          > if anyone could recommend any 'Golden Age' detective fiction by a
          > Scandinavian author, or, for that matter, set in a Scandinavian
          country.

          > Best wishes.
        • luis molina
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008

            Hi Ian:You might want to read my review of "Locked Rooms and Open Spaces," a
            book comprised exclusively of locked-room mysteries written my Swedish
            authors, in the "Suggested Reading" page of my website,
            www.halwhitebooks. com.

            IS  THIS THE HANS STANTESSON BOOK? HOW GOOD IS IT?

            Recent Activity

             3
            New Members

             1
            New LinksVisit Your Group

            Star Wars on Y!
            Discover new content
            Connect with other
            fans & upload video.

            Yahoo! News
            Odd News
            You won't believe
            it, but it's true

            Sell Online
            Start selling with
            our award-winning
            e-commerce tools.
            .

          • halwhite
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
              --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, luis molina <lrmolina47@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ian:You might want to read my review of "Locked Rooms and Open
              Spaces," a
              > book comprised exclusively of locked-room mysteries written my
              Swedish
              > authors, in the "Suggested Reading" page of my website,
              > www.halwhitebooks. com.
              >
              > IS  THIS THE HANS STANTESSON BOOK? HOW GOOD IS IT?

              Hi Luis:

              This is not "The Locked Room Reader," edited by Hans S. Santesson.
              (Which was later released as two paperbacks, "8 Keys to Murder" and "8
              Doors to Death.") This is a more recent book, collected and translated
              by Bertil Falk. The Santesson collection isn't limited to Swedish
              authors, and (as a whole) is the better collection.

              The Falk book contains 16 locked-room mysteries written exclusively by
              Swedish writers during the last 150 years. The gem of the collection
              is "Reg. No. 94.028/72 Murder," which (according to Falk), is regarded
              by some as "the best locked room murder story ever written in Swedish."
              It's easily the best story in Falk's collection, and the book is worth
              buying for this story alone. But, as I mentioned, Santesson's
              collection is definitely better overall.

              FYI, Falk's book is only available through The Battered Silicon
              Dispatch Box. There's a link to that publisher in my site.

              Hal
              www.halwhitebooks.com