Re: [GAdetection] h. c. bailey mr. fortune

  • Ronald Smyth
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 31, 2008
        I have very much enjoyed what few Reggie Fortune stories I have been able to find. He seems to be very thin on the ground here in Canada. I have found a couple.. I have never yet been able to find even one of the Mr Clunk books, but I would very much like to. Mr. Fuller's reccomendations are appreciated.

                                                        Ron Smyth

      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 9 2:12 AM
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Fuller <stoke_moran@...>
        wrote:

        > Bailey's superb.  He's an acquired taste, since his style is rich and
        ambiguous, but the Fortune stories rank with Holmes and Father Brown.
        Definitely one of the four or five greatest classic (i.e., dead)
        writers in the genre - up there with GKC, Christie, Mitchell, and
        Sayers.

        Nick:
        I seem to recall that Shadow on the Wall was a locked-room mystery, but
        are any of his short stories locked rooms?
        Hal