Re: Sarah Weinman on S.S. Van Dine

  • vegetableduck
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2008
      Sigh, we can have both types of book, you know, it's doesn't have to
      be one or the other exclusively.

      Thanks, Xavier, you always manage to find these interesting
      statements that provoke a resposne from me.

      Curt

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Xavier Lechard"
      <lechardxavier@...> wrote:

      > Van Dine thought of detective fiction as an intellectual game;
      what's transpired in the eight decades since is how said novels have
      become more about the emotional and the visceral. Or to spell it out
      more clearly, empathy in classical detective fiction was an
      afterthought; now it's a crucial component. I think that's rather a
      good thing.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2008
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "vegetableduck" <cjevans@...> wrote:

        > Sigh, we can have both types of book, you know, it's doesn't have to
        > be one or the other exclusively.
        >
        > Thanks, Xavier, you always manage to find these interesting
        > statements that provoke a resposne from me.

        You're welcome, Curt!
        By the way:
        http://atthevillarose.blogspot.com/2008/05/in-praise-of-theory.html