The Brothers Sackville (GDH and Margaret Cole) (1937)

  • vegetableduck
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
      Criticized in strong terms by Barzun and Taylor as being too much like
      a straight novel, The Brothers Sackville actually is, I found, an
      enjoyable crime tale: long, but with some interesting and amusing
      characters and a problem reminiscent of a Michael Innes story.
      Superintendent Wilson plays a very small role, though he does
      ultimately solve the case his underling had been investigating rather
      futilely.

      Curt
    • rauter25
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Curt,
        thanks for the information about the Coles. I read END OF AN ANCIENT
        MARINER lately. The reader knows who did it from the beginning and
        even why rather soon. The mystery element isn't too pronounced. But
        characterization is very good.
        It's not easy to get hold of a Cole. In Germany nineteen of their
        Collins Crime Club editions appeared in the original from 1930 to '39
        in the ALBATROSS series. A small number of them are available here
        through interlibrary loan. And from time to time one crops up in the
        market. Too seldom.
        Juergen
      • rauter25
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          I'm sorry I made a mistake there. From 1934 to 1938 the following
          eight titles came out in the Albatross series:

          Cole, GDH and M Death In The Quarry (1934) - No.128
          Cole, GDH and M Big Business Murder (1935) - 137
          Cole, GDH and M Scandal At School (1935) - 174
          Cole, GDH and M Dr Tancred Begins (1935) - 165
          Cole, GDH and M The Brothers Sackville (1936) - 185
          Cole, GDH and M Last Will And Testament (1936) - 180
          Cole, GDH and M The Missing Aunt (1937) - 424
          Cole, GDH and M Off With Her Head (1938) - 445

          Juergen
        • vegetableduck
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
            Juergen,

            Thank you, I'm glad my brief comments were of some use. I thought I
            would say a bit about some of their more obscure works. I just posted
            an entry on "The Affair at Aliquid," and one on "Counterpoint Murder"
            will follow in the next few days. Nick Fuller and Mike Grost already
            have posted longer comments on other works by them. I recall you
            reviewed "Death of a Star" as well.

            Curt