Too Many Milnes?

  • Mike B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
      Is there any relation between Christianna Brand (born Mary
      Christianna Milne exactly one years ago this December) and Alan
      Alexander Milne (aka A.A.)?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
        Everybody loves it. Maurice Richardson calls it 'insanely ingenious'; Jon Jermey says it's his favourite McCloy; Cooper & Pike list it in their top 100; COC praises it.

        WHY?

        It's astonishingly mediocre. The method is immediately obvious, since it's lifted straight from Carr's Death in Five Boxes. The main gimmick is given away by the title, and recalls Allingham's Death of a Ghost. The murderer is completely arbitrary (psychological clue unconvincing), and feels like Rex Stout. Well written, of course, in a rather cold and unsympathetic way.

      • monescu4
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
          I take it you mean one HUNDRED years ago!

          Dunno about the relationship.

          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Mike B." <MikeBlake@...> wrote:

          > Is there any relation between Christianna Brand (born Mary
          > Christianna Milne exactly one years ago this December) and Alan
          > Alexander Milne (aka A.A.)?

        • Tony Medawar
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
            No