Spreading the word about Golden Age mysteries

  • Barry Ergang
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
      A long-time friend-via-the-Internet, Kevin Tipple, having read some
      reviews I've posted on the GADetection Wiki recently asked my
      permission to reprint some of them on his blog:
      http://www.hollywoodcomics.com/kevin/kevin/. Kevin has been reviewing
      mysteries for a variety of publications for a number of years and has
      deservedly developed a following because, unlike some self-styled
      reviewers, he doesn't rave about everything he reads. He's careful and
      critical.

      In extending the request, Kevin said he felt my reviews would
      complement his because so much of what I read is different from what
      he reads. (Not to mention that much of what I read is older and out of
      print.) In any event, I granted him permission because some of my
      reviews might introduce readers to some Golden Age authors they never
      knew about and whose work they might be inclined to seek out.

      I also plan to ask Kevin to post a link to the Wiki so his readers can
      have a look at others' reviews.

      To those of you who read contemporary mystery/suspense novels that
      don't fall into the Golden Age category, check Kevin's site for
      reviews of books that might pique your curiosity.

      Best,
      Barry

      http://www.geocities.com/b_ergang/Home.html
    • Mike B.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Barry wrote:
        > A long-time friend-via-the-Internet, Kevin Tipple, having read
        > some reviews I've posted on the GADetection Wiki recently
        > asked my permission to reprint some of them on his blog:
        > <http://www.hollywoodcomics.com/kevin/kevin/>. Kevin has been
        > reviewing mysteries for a variety of publications for a number
        > of years and has deservedly developed a following because,
        > unlike some self-styled reviewers, he doesn't rave about
        > everything he reads.

        Well, I can see he raves about *some* things:

        >> Welcoming BARRY ERGANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Congratulations, and (looking at the rest of the site) maybe he
        can get you a big fat advance for a screenplay or two.

        Though I must say, when you mention "some self-styled
        reviewers" who rave about everything, all I can think of is the
        (in)famous review spammer who shares initials with Harry Keeler...

        --Mike Blake
      • Barry Ergang
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Mike B." <MikeBlake@...> wrote:
          > Though I must say, when you mention "some self-styled
          > reviewers" who rave about everything, all I can think of is the
          > (in)famous review spammer who shares initials with Harry Keeler...

          Excellent detective work, Mike. That's exactly who I had in mind.