Re: The Lone Wolf

  • Barry Ergang
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Mary Reed <maywrite@...> wrote:
      > And the second question is having just read a couple of Lone Wolf
      > yarns I'm debating if they would be considered GA detections.
      > Perhaps not, so will not write a few lines of review though I
      > will record I thought his struggle to remain true to a
      > promise to Reform His Ways was an excellent touch, and that the
      > beginning of The False Faces, where he crawls over No Man's
      > Land from the German trenches, is one of the best openings
      > I have ever read.

      "....a few charnal yards of that debatable ground."

      I still have an old Avon paperback reissue of THE FALSE FACES from
      when I was a kid, and although it's been many years since I read it, I
      still have some memory of that opening, too.

      I've also read and enjoyed the original THE LONE WOLF. But I'll warn
      you now to avoid THE LONE WOLF'S SON. It's overwrought and
      sluggishly-paced, and I eventually gave up on it as not worth the time
      or effort.
    • Mary Reed
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        GADers!

        Well, if you guys vote yes, I could oblige with a review the first two LW
        novels, these being all I've read so far. And indeed as has been pointed
        out, the second in particular involved a fair bit of sleuthing...

        Mary R
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
          Hi Mary,

          I'm not familiar with the real Whispering Knights, but yes, these are a
          circle of standing stones,

          Jon,