Jon's post ref Solar Pons and another question

  • Mary Reed
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      GADers!

      Jon, not having read the Pons work you review -- yet! -- what I would like
      to know is are the Whispering Knights those connected with the stone circle at
      Great Rollright? A close friend lives in the village and so I occasionally
      visited, as well as taking visitors to view the circle, the Knights, and the
      King Stone.

      And the second question is having just read a couple of Lone Wolf yarns I'm
      debating if they would be considered GA detections. Perhaps not, so will not
      write a few lines of review though I will record I thought his struggle to
      remain true to a promise to Reform His Ways was an excellent touch, and that
      the beginning of The False Faces, where he crawls over No Man's Land from
      the German trenches, is one of the best openings I have ever read.

      Mary R
      http://home.epix.net/~maywrite/
    • Barry Ergang
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Mary Reed <maywrite@...> wrote:
        > And the second question is having just read a couple of Lone Wolf
        > yarns I'm debating if they would be considered GA detections.
        > Perhaps not, so will not write a few lines of review though I
        > will record I thought his struggle to remain true to a
        > promise to Reform His Ways was an excellent touch, and that the
        > beginning of The False Faces, where he crawls over No Man's
        > Land from the German trenches, is one of the best openings
        > I have ever read.

        "....a few charnal yards of that debatable ground."

        I still have an old Avon paperback reissue of THE FALSE FACES from
        when I was a kid, and although it's been many years since I read it, I
        still have some memory of that opening, too.

        I've also read and enjoyed the original THE LONE WOLF. But I'll warn
        you now to avoid THE LONE WOLF'S SON. It's overwrought and
        sluggishly-paced, and I eventually gave up on it as not worth the time
        or effort.
      • Mary Reed
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
          GADers!

          Well, if you guys vote yes, I could oblige with a review the first two LW
          novels, these being all I've read so far. And indeed as has been pointed
          out, the second in particular involved a fair bit of sleuthing...

          Mary R
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
            Hi Mary,

            I'm not familiar with the real Whispering Knights, but yes, these are a
            circle of standing stones,

            Jon,