Re: [GAdetection] Re: Review: Cobb, Belton - Like a Guilty Thing (1938)

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
      Cobb's approach was totally different from Carr's. There was a letter published in the TLS, in which he said that he never knew who the murderer was until the last chapter.

      "Six hours in the spiritual abyss, and all because I never thought of the dentist! Such a simple, such a beautiful and peaceful thought! Friends, we have passed a night in hell; but now the sun is risen, the birds are singing, and the radiant form of the dentist consoles the world."
      --GK Chesterton, 'The Honour of Israel Gow'

    • vegetableduck
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
        Jon, I read this one four years ago, have been rereading (about
        fifty pages left), and I agree with your review (except I don't find
        the book slow-moving, it seems a quick read to me, like all the
        early Belton Cobbs, which seem mainly driven by conversation, with
        some interior "monolougeing" in this case).

        Like most early Belton Cobbs, suspicion is realistically confined to
        a small group, in this case the dead woman's (morphia overdose) son,
        niece,doctor and nurse-companion (the cook and housemaid, we are
        informed, are not intelligent enough to have committed the crime).
        Great emphasis is placed on the travails of the much put-upon
        companion, which gives the work some novelistic interest, in
        addition to the basic interest in the puzzle of the morphia. The
        other suspects in this little household, particularly the son and
        niece, are not sympathetically portrayed, giving the lie to the
        notion that all books of this place and period were "cozies."

        Cobb's police detective, Cheviot Burmann, is mostly confined to
        rather smug cameos so far; the police superintendent, a male
        chauvinist of the old school (loves women as long as they "act like
        women") is sympathetically portrayed and intervenes strongly when
        everyone else is ready to hang poor Emma Claypole (or at least pack
        her off to Broadmoor).

        Curt