Dover editions

  • mike5568
    Message 1 of 10 , May 27, 2007
      I love the Dover editions printed throughout the 70`s and 80`s and try
      to pick them up whenever I see them. I got one today by an author I`m
      not familiar with and a title I`ve never heard. Book Of Murder, a
      collection of short stories by Frederick Irving Anderson. This is an
      excellent looking Dover reprint published in 1988, originally
      published by E.F. Dutton in 1930. Any comments on the author or the
      book? MikeB
    • Douglas G. Greene
      Message 2 of 10 , May 28, 2007
        Mike

        Anderson was a major writer for the "slick" magazines during the first
        4 decades of the 20th century, and many of his stories were mysteries.
        His first mystery collection was THE INFALLIBLE GODAHL (1914) crook
        stories with some detection. THE BOOK OF MURDER (1930) is one a
        layered book which takes several re-readings -- Anderson was a very
        subtle writer. It features Deputy Parr and the "extinct writer":
        Oliver Armiston who is paid by the police not to write any more
        detective stories, as crooks are getting ideas from them.

        Anderson wrote a third collection,THE NOTORIOUS SOPHIE LANG (1925),
        but it was published only in the UK and never reprinted. I would love
        to find a copy but on the rare occasions when it shows up on the web
        it is much too rich for my blood.

        There are many uncollected Parr and Armiston stories. Ben Fisher, who
        knows the Anderson family, has offered to edit a collection for
        Crippen & Landru, but nothing has emerged so far.

        Doug
      • Mike Blake
        Message 3 of 10 , May 28, 2007
          Another good source on him is our own Mike Grost:

          http://home.aol.com/mg4273/anderson.htm#Anderson

          There appeared three films in the thirties with his beautiful jewel
          thief, Sophie Lang:

          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026732/

          --Mike Blake
        • Bob Schneider
          Message 4 of 10 , May 29, 2007
            Re: Dover Press

            Their headquarters/warehouse is located near one of my train stops
            here on Long Island. When I missed a connecting train a few months
            ago I walked over to the Dover Press building to spend the hour
            between trains. I was very disappointed. The lobby area is ok,
            some exhibits of past publishing triumphs, etc. but the area a
            visitor goes to in order to look at and buy books is run down and
            dingy. Most of the books for sale are out of copyright classics
            (hardly any detective/mystery), arts & crafts books, clip-art books,
            history volumes and other assorted oddities. I have a much bigger
            collection of detective Dover Classics at home than was available in
            the "store". I guess that once they sold most of their inventory
            they decided to get out of the detective classic reprint business.
            A sad decline to a publisher that once was highly regarded in our
            field.

            Bob

            --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "mike5568" <mike5568@...> wrote:

            > I love the Dover editions printed throughout the 70`s and 80`s and
            try
            > to pick them up whenever I see them...
          • vegetableduck
            Message 5 of 10 , May 29, 2007
              Those old Dover eds. were great--some real finds at the time too--
              Eden Phillpotts, Douglas Browne, Cyril Hare, ECR Lorac.

              Curt

              --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Schneider"
              <speedymystery@...> wrote:

              > Re: Dover Press
              >
              > Their headquarters/warehouse is located near one of my train stops
              > here on Long Island. When I missed a connecting train a few
              months
              > ago I walked over to the Dover Press building to spend the hour
              > between trains. I was very disappointed. The lobby area is ok,
              > some exhibits of past publishing triumphs, etc. but the area a
              > visitor goes to in order to look at and buy books is run down and
              > dingy. Most of the books for sale are out of copyright classics
              > (hardly any detective/mystery), arts & crafts books, clip-art
              books,
              > history volumes and other assorted oddities. I have a much
              bigger
              > collection of detective Dover Classics at home than was available
              in
              > the "store". I guess that once they sold most of their inventory
              > they decided to get out of the detective classic reprint
              business.
              > A sad decline to a publisher that once was highly regarded in our
              > field.
              >
              > Bob
              >

              > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "mike5568" <mike5568@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I love the Dover editions printed throughout the 70`s and 80`s
              and
              > try
              > > to pick them up whenever I see them...

            • Anita Hoffman
              Message 6 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                Curt:

                Do you have comments on either of these titles by ECR Lorac... "Speak
                Justly for the Dead" or "And then put out the Light".
                Many thanks for any input.

                Anita

                Message 7 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                  Anita, those are two of my favorites by Lorac, good settings with
                  some better than average characters and nice pace. I like post-war
                  Loracs better than prewar ones, or at least the prewar ones that I
                  have read (about half, I think). Another one I would recommend off
                  the top of my head is Murder of a Martinet/I could Murder Her. And
                  Then Put Out the Light/Policemen in the Precinct was reprinted by
                  HRF Keating in the estimable Disappearing Detectives series about
                  twenty years ago.

                  Curt

                  (--- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Anita Hoffman <agh7746@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                    Then Put Out The Light is excellent, as is Murder On The Oxford Road
                    which I read recently and is available in a new reprint edition
                    purchased at Amazon.uk. I`ve been on a Lorac reading binge lately and
                    Speak Justly For The Dead is coming up soon. MikeB

                    > Anita, those are two of my favorites by Lorac, good settings with
                    > some better than average characters and nice pace. I like post-war
                    > Loracs better than prewar ones, or at least the prewar ones that I
                    > have read (about half, I think). Another one I would recommend off
                    > the top of my head is Murder of a Martinet/I could Murder Her. And
                    > Then Put Out the Light/Policemen in the Precinct was reprinted by
                    > HRF Keating in the estimable Disappearing Detectives series about
                    > twenty years ago.
                    >
                    > Curt
                    >
                    > (--- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Anita Hoffman <agh7746@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Curt:
                    > >
                    > > Do you have comments on either of these titles by ECR
                    > Lorac... "Speak
                    > > Justly for the Dead" or "And then put out the Light".
                    > > Many thanks for any input.
                    > >
                    > > Anita

                  • Douglas G. Greene
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Dover almost always reprinted books that were in public domain,
                      including a number of mysteries whose copyrights were not renewed,
                      including Fredrick Irving Anderson's BOOK OF MURDER and C. Daly King's
                      THE CURIOUS MR. TARRANT. King's daughter was actually very pleased
                      when that happened, because she could then buy copies to give to
                      friends. The new edition we (Crippen & Landru), THE COMPLETE CURIOUS
                      MR. TARRANT, has a new copyright in the daughter's name because the
                      compilation with previously uncollected material can be copyrighted.

                      When the Sonny Bono law froze copyrights, Dover ceased doing their
                      regular mystery line, but did their very popular Thrift Edition s.
                      Hayward Cirker, the founder and President of Dover, asked me to edit
                      some anthologies of public domain material, and I did DETECTION BY
                      GASLIGHT and CLASSIC MYSTERY STORIES. They were incidentally,
                      straight 'for hire' projects, and I get no royalties, but I hear they
                      still sell very well at under $4 each. I am rather proud of them.

                      I also wrote introductions to some books that Cirker wanted to ass to
                      their Thrift Series -- he chose the titles by A.A. Milne, Sax Rohmer,
                      Agatha Christie, E.C. Bentley, and I think one more (though i wrote
                      the introduction and it was published . . . I just can't recall what
                      it was). Oh yes, it was Mary Roberts Rinehart -- brain rot isn;t as
                      advanced as i had feared.

                      When Cirker died, Dover didn't proceed with their mystery line Thrift
                      Editions, or if they did, they dropped m.

                      Sigh.

                      Doug G
                    • Douglas G. Greene
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2007
                        After praising self for not having brainrot, I sent the previous
                        e-mail about Dover without proofing it -- as is obvious.... especially
                        when I typed "ass" when I meant "add."

                        Doug