Re: Other Hugh Pentecost series recommended?

  • MG4273@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      Favorite Hugh Pentecost tales, so far:
      An early novel about a woman who runs a detective agency:
      The Death Syndicate (1938)

      Two Impossible Crime short stories
      � Room Number 23 (1925)
      � The Day the Children Vanished (1958)

      Three of Pentecost's many American Magazine novellas
      � The Dead Man's Tale (1943)
      � Murder in Manhattan (1952)
      � Murder Plays Through (1952)

      For comments on these, please see my web site article:
      http://members.aol.com/MG4273/laterimp.htm

      Mike Grost
    • Ed Lynskey
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
        Many thanks, Mike, for your recommendations. I've visited your
        fine web site and have enjoyed reading your articles there.
        It's a great resource.

        Ed

        --- MG4273@... wrote:

        > Favorite Hugh Pentecost tales, so far:
        > An early novel about a woman who runs a detective agency:
        > The Death Syndicate (1938)
        >
        > Two Impossible Crime short stories
        > · Room Number 23 (1925)
        > · The Day the Children Vanished (1958)
        >
        > Three of Pentecost's many American Magazine novellas
        > · The Dead Man's Tale (1943)
        > · Murder in Manhattan (1952)
        > · Murder Plays Through (1952)
        >
        > For comments on these, please see my web site article:
        > http://members.aol.com/MG4273/laterimp.htm
        >
        > Mike Grost
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
      • Monte Herridge
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2006
          From: <MG4273@...>

          > Favorite Hugh Pentecost tales, so far:
          > An early novel about a woman who runs a detective agency:
          > The Death Syndicate (1938)

          Carole Trevor and Maxwell Blythe of this novel also appear in a number of
          shorter pieces as well as serialized novels in Detective Fiction Weekly:

          We Trade in Death - April 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28, June 4, 1938
          Murder Most Foul - January 7, 14, 21, 28, February 4, 11, 1939
          Night of Terror - March 25, 1939 (novelette)
          Murder of the Ancients - April 22, 1939 (novelette)
          The Murder Box - May 6, 1939 (novelette)
          Hounds of Despair - July 15, 22, 29, August 5, 12, 19, 1939

          The stories often are featured on the cover art of these issues.

          Monte Herridge

          > For comments on these, please see my web site article:
          > http://members.aol.com/MG4273/laterimp.htm
          >
          > Mike Grost

        • Enrique F. Bird
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2006
            Friends:

            Hey,Dr.Greene, a new Crippen & Landru Lost Classic?

            Enrique F. Bird Picó

            _____

            We Trade in Death - April 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28, June 4, 1938
            Murder Most Foul - January 7, 14, 21, 28, February 4, 11, 1939
            Night of Terror - March 25, 1939 (novelette)
            Murder of the Ancients - April 22, 1939 (novelette)
            The Murder Box - May 6, 1939 (novelette)
            Hounds of Despair - July 15, 22, 29, August 5, 12, 19, 1939

            The stories often are featured on the cover art of these issues.

            Monte Herridge

            > For comments on these, please see my web site article:
            > http://members. <http://members.aol.com/MG4273/laterimp.htm>
            aol.com/MG4273/laterimp.htm

            > Mike Grost

          • S. T. Karnick
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
              I think that this would make an excellent collection indeed. What do you
              say, Doug?

              Pentecost was the consummate “pro” among mid-century mystery novelists. He
              seldom if ever reached the highest heights, but he almost never failed to
              give the reader a strong story with interesting characters. A truly
              rewarding author whose many mystery series are all very interesting.

              There is in fact a Lost Classics volume of John Jericho stories planned, for
              which I owe Doug an introduction.

              Doug, I’ll have it for you by Thanksgiving. Will that work for you? Sam

              S. T. Karnick

              Director of Publications, Heartland <http://www.heartland.org/> Institute

              Karnick on Culture <http://www.stkarnick.com/>

              _____

              NkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzM1NDk5NDIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDIwMDY4BG1zZ0lkAzEyMD
              AwBHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzExNjI5MDc3NzE-> Re: Other Hugh Pentecost
              series recommended?

              Posted by: "Enrique F. Bird"
              <mailto:enfbirdp@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Other%20Hugh%20Pentecost%2
              0series%20recommended%3F> enfbirdp@...
              <http://profiles.yahoo.com/efbp> efbp

              Mon Nov 6, 2006 7:03 am (PST)

              From: <mailto:GAdetection%40yahoogroups.com> GAdetection@yahoogroups.com

              We Trade in Death - April 30, May 7, 14, 21, 28, June 4, 1938