Silence and Book Reviews... with SPOILERS

  • Joe Hoffman
    Message 1 of 44 , Aug 22, 2001
      Boy, it has been quieter than a church mouse with our group. You could murder someone and there would be no witnesses. Anyway, I finished my big project and got my company off to their northern adobes, and I'll break the silence.

      Finished and absolutely enjoyed my first Jonathan Stagge book (Patrick Quentin, etc.) of Death's Old Sweet Song. This book was a birthday gift from a good friend, and although it took me a while to get around to reading it, what a wonderful treat.

      The book revolves around a song that I remember from my childhood... or at least a version of it.... Green Grow the Rushes-O. It's also the first book that introduces Dr. Westlake and his somewhat annoying young daugher, Dawn.

      The two are in Skipton, New York on vacation, and are surrounded by a wonderful cast of characters... all richly drawn and vividly described. However, during a picnic in which everyone is drawn together, two twin boys are found murdered. Before the book is very far along, most of the cast of characters have been murdered, and the rest are in fear of their lives.

      There are at least two red herrings that I can remember that take you completely in the opposite direction of who the murderer actually was. However, the clues are all there. I just missed them. If Dawn Westlake hadn't been so obnoxious and you weren't glossing over her discussions as I did, you would have sen the primary clue... a "marble" which was not really a marble.

      Also, the characters were very believeable, and I believed the murderer when he said this and that.

      I have since tracked down 4 more Stagge books... Turn of the Table, The Scarlet Circle, Death my Darling Daughters and The Three Fears, and I am anxious to read those in the very near future. I would give this book a 4/5.

      I then read Secret of High Eldersham by Miles Burton, my second book by this author. I also totally enjoyed this book. Richly drawn English countryside, good character development, vivid descriptions. Either I was in a leisurely mood or missed all the clues, but I was very surprised by the events as they unfolded. The witchcraft angle was kind of easy to figure out... you had no where else to go but witchcraft with everything that was going on. But the real secret of the little village was a real surprise, and I missed it completely. After Hardway Diamonds, which was my first read by Miles Burton, I have searched for more of his work, and this is my second book by this author. I totally enjoyed it, and would give it again, a 4/5. Not much of a review, I know, but I'm rushed. Richard, Christian and Nick are much better at the reviews than I am, so I will leave it to them.

      Hope all is well with everyone, and the list picks up. Way too quiet.

      Anita
    • Sam Karnick
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 10, 2001
        Shirley,

        Thanks. That's interesting, but I haven't found any in the GAD mold, especially Gardner, Abbott, Rufus King, Van Dine, Boucher, Berkeley, Blake, and the like, or even popular authors such as Sayers, Christie, Stout, and Queen, for that matter. I'd be interested to know which of these and similar authors are available.

        Best w's,

        S. T. Karnick
        Editor in Chief, American Outlook (www.americanoutlook.org)
        Director of Publications, Hudson Institute (www.hudson.org)

        >>> snapshot2@... 09/09/01 06:16PM >>>
        That's how much eBooks cost. That's why I'm so far behind
        in my reading. I'm an eBook reviewer and I can guarantee
        you that there are many great eBooks out there. And in
        any genre you would like: Mystery, romance, horror,
        suspense,
        science fiction, children's, young adult's...etc.
        Just check out any review site and read some of the reviews.
        The publisher is always mentioned so it is easy to check
        them out as well. You'll find the prices for the books are
        much more budget friendly than print books, although many
        of our author's eBooks can be found in print also.
        Happy, and successful, hunting.
        Any questions, just write.
        The best
        Shirley