Roosevelt's mystery story

  • ogzrn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Hi all,
      This weekend i found an interesting novel (in Turkish) named "Bir ba�ka
      adam" which means "Another Man". The author's name is Fulton Oursler, but
      it's noted that American president Roosevelt dictated this novel to Oursler.
      It's said that Roosevelt isn't satisfied the majority of mystery novels, so
      he dictated a mystery novel himself.

      I did a google search, and found out this novel is named "The President's
      Mystery Story", and is written by 6 different authors: Rupert Hughes, Samuel
      Hopkins Adams, Anthony Abbot, Rita Weiman, S. S. Van Dine, John Erskine. I
      also found out Fulton Oursler was the editor, and wrote the preface only.
      There's no further detail anywhere.

      Does anyone know anything about this novel? How was it written? Which
      episode was written by S.S. Van Dine? etc.?

    • Monte Herridge
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2006
        This weekend i found an interesting novel (in Turkish) named "Bir baºka
        adam" which means "Another Man". The author's name is Fulton Oursler, but
        it's noted that American president Roosevelt dictated this novel to Oursler.
        It's said that Roosevelt isn't satisfied the majority of mystery novels, so
        he dictated a mystery novel himself.

        I did a google search, and found out this novel is named "The President's
        Mystery Story", and is written by 6 different authors: Rupert Hughes, Samuel
        Hopkins Adams, Anthony Abbot, Rita Weiman, S. S. Van Dine, John Erskine. I
        also found out Fulton Oursler was the editor, and wrote the preface only.
        There's no further detail anywhere.

        Does anyone know anything about this novel? How was it written? Which
        episode was written by S.S. Van Dine? etc.?

        I am not certain where my copy of the book is right now, so I can only tell
        you a little. It was reprinted in hardback with a new introduction around
        1965-67, and with a concluding chapter by Erle Stanley Gardner. The
        dustwrapper has a photograph of a bust of FDR. My copy will probably turn
        up in the next day or so, and if so I give more information.

        Monte Herridge
      • Christian Henriksson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2006
          Lo and behold, on 1 May 2006 at 14:37, ogzrn sayeth thus:

          > Hi all,
          > This weekend i found an interesting novel (in Turkish) named "Bir
          > baºka adam" which means "Another Man". The author's name is Fulton
          > Oursler, but it's noted that American president Roosevelt dictated
          > this novel to Oursler. It's said that Roosevelt isn't satisfied the
          > majority of mystery novels, so he dictated a mystery novel himself.
          >
          > I did a google search, and found out this novel is named "The
          > President's Mystery Story", and is written by 6 different authors:
          > Rupert Hughes, Samuel Hopkins Adams, Anthony Abbot, Rita Weiman, S. S.
          > Van Dine, John Erskine. I also found out Fulton Oursler was the
          > editor, and wrote the preface only. There's no further detail
          > anywhere.
          >
          > Does anyone know anything about this novel? How was it written? Which
          > episode was written by S.S. Van Dine? etc.?

          Fulton Oursler is, of course, Anthony Abbot's real name. The idea for the story came
          from FDR, and was then expanded by these six writers. Chapter 1 is by Rupert
          Hughes, 2 by Samuel Hopkins Adams, 3 by Abbot, 4 by Weiman, 5 by Van Dine and
          the wrap-up by Erskine.

          I remember it as being slightly silly, as round-robin novels tend to be, but that the
          premise was a good one, and similar plots have been used later by other authors.

          Christian Henriksson
          (christian.henriksson@...)
          --
          The human race, to which so many of my