Review - Miles Burton 'The Chinese Puzzle'

  • Ronaldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hello everyone.

      I've been making my way through some of my Rhodes/Burtons lately and thought I'd post
      a some reviews. Here's the first:

      Miles Burton - The Chinese Puzzle

      This late Burton, from 1957, is in some respects standard fare, although it does deviate
      from the majority of his books in that the setting is the fictional sea town of Cranport and
      London, rather that the English country village which was his more usual domain. An
      attack at a boarding house in London frequented by Chinese immigrants leads Inspector
      Arnold to Cranport, where murder, a stolen post-office savings book, opium-smoking and
      the possibile involvement of secret societies combine to send him along numerous false
      trails before the conclusion. Fortunately, Desmond Merrion is on hand from very early on
      to help out and one of the definite highlights of the book are the wonderfully acerbic
      altercations between the two as they wrangle about what happened and who was
      responsible. Some aspects of the solution will be discernible to the seasoned mystery
      reader, others less so - the why and how is less obvious than the who - but overall this is
      an enjoyable read, especially for the Arnold/Merrion interactions. It is also pleasing to see
      that the book does not descend into just displaying racial stereotypes, though the picture
      of the uneducated oriental portrayed may seem outdated to some modern readers.

      3/5

      R E Faust
    • vegetableduck
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        Nice review. I thought this book was one of Street's better efforts
        from the period, though it's far from a classic. I loved Merrion
        spouting his "expertise" about China at the drop of a hat. Though
        outdated, it is not racist in the Fu Manchu sense.

        Curt

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2006
          The Chinese Puzzle is available as a free download from Blackmask; see -
          http://www.blackmask.com/Mystery/Miles_Burton.

          And a nice pic of the original cover, plus some other Burton covers, can be
          found here - http://www.geocities.com/bevis1uk/Burton.htm