Re: The Carr centenary is approaching

  • alanjbishop1
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      The 'spread out' and international aspect of the web means organising
      a meeting is problematic. It is highly unlikely that a descision (no
      matter how democratically decided) will suit all.

      A trans-Atlantic celebration might be workable but on a small scale.

      I'd suggest - and this IS only a suggestion - a meeting of
      English/European fans (and members of this group) in a London
      location. Not a convention but more of a gathering, meal and
      celebration. The States (being so big) organises it's celebration,
      meeting and meal in tandem.

      Who knows? Perhaps the more techie-minded could rig up an
      internet/videonet link between the meetings?
    • Warren Malach
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Jon, where do you get a copy of THE BOOK OF THE DEAD? That is the ONE Daly
        mystery I have not been able to find in paperback, and I would like to get a
        copy. --Warren

      • Warren Malach
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          The American celebration to be held in...Greenville, SC? --Warren

          >From: "alanjbishop1" <alanjbishop1@...>
          >To: GAdetection@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [GAdetection] Re: The Carr centenary is approaching
          >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:15:57 -0000
          >

          >The 'spread out' and international aspect of the web means organising
          >
          >a meeting is problematic.� It is highly unlikely that a descision (no
          >
          >matter how democratically decided) will suit all.
          >

          >A trans-Atlantic celebration might be workable but on a small scale.
          >

          >I'd suggest - and this IS only a suggestion - a meeting of
          >
          >English/European fans (and members of this group) in a London
          >
          >location.� Not a convention but more of a gathering, meal and
          >
          >celebration.� The States (being so big) organises it's celebration,
          >
          >meeting and meal in tandem.
          >

          >Who knows?� Perhaps the more techie-minded could rig up an
          >
          >internet/videonet link between the meetings?

          > Ngaio marsh
          >

          > Margery allingham
          >

          > John dickson carr
          >

          > Ellery queen
          >

          > Agatha christie
          >

          > Mystery shopping

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > �Visit your group "GAdetection" on the web.
          >�
          >�

        • Douglas G. Greene
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            I may have said this before, but later this year Tony Medawar and
            Crippen & Landru will publish THIRTEEN TO THE GALLOWS, STAGE PLAYS by
            Carr and Van Gilegud in honor of JDC's 100th birthday.

            Speaking of Tony, I'll be seeing him and other fans -- Barry Pike,
            Geoff Bradley, BJ Rahn, Jamie Sturgeon, John Cooper, Eddie Jones, and
            others -- in London shortly. I leave this afternoon and will be gone
            until March 12

            Doug G

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                HAVE A NICE TRIP, AND THINK ABOUT OTHER LOST GEAMS
                THAT YOU WILL GIVE US.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                  > Jon, where do you get a copy of THE BOOK OF THE
                  > DEAD? That is the ONE Daly
                  > mystery I have not been able to find in paperback,
                  > and I would like to get a
                  > copy. --Warren

                  GO TO AMAZON.COM, THEY HAVE TWO VOLUMES, BUT EXPENSIVE.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                    My copy is a war-economy standard hardback published by Morrison and Gibb,
                    London and Edinburgh. It comes to me from Lockwood Subscription Lending
                    Library in Mt Gambier, South Australia, (6d for seven days) via a
                    second-hand bookshop in Bowral NSW.

                    It's good news about the reissue - I suppose it's too much to hope that they
                    will do them electronically as well?

                    Jon.

                  • dr_g_fell
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
                      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Warren Malach"
                      <Brucknerfan1951@...> wrote:

                      > The American celebration to be held in...Greenville, SC? --Warren

                      Gretings, all.

                      I have posted this in the Carr club:

                      "At this moment, I'm open to a meeting either in London or in the
                      USA. Depends on the dates; in the USA there will also be the matter
                      of Where.

                      Our dear departed friend Wyatt/Grobius lobbied for Mamaroneck, NY if
                      I recall correctly, another possibility would be Haverford, PA,
                      which would be more central for Americans and about the same for
                      Euorpeans.

                      But the mmeting in London would be much more handy for me."

                      Yours truly,
                      Dr G