Re: C.L Pirkis

  • MG4273@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
      There are some brief critical notes on C. L. Pirkis on my web site, at:
      http://members.aol.com/MG4273/doyleera.htm#Pirkis

      At the top of this page is a list of recommended reading. One can see the site recommends two of Pirkis' short tales as being outstanding:

      The Experiences of Loveday Brooke, Lady Detective (1893)
      The Redhill Sisterhood
      Drawn Daggers
      These are the best stories in the collection, IMHO.

      There is an alphabetic list of authors in my we site at:
      http://members.aol.com/MG4273/alphlist.htm

      You can find Pirkis there, listed under P.
      I am never sure whether to promote my web site, or not. It IS purely non-profit and educational. I have never made a penny off it, it accepts no advertising, etc. So it seems harmless to mention it. (Plus our wiki builders have been raiding it relentlessly for articles.) It was written to inform, educate, and help make sure the great authors of mystery fiction are remembered.

      Mike Grost

    • Warren Malach
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2006
        She wasn't the first female sleuth in print in England, but probably the
        first famous one. I had no problem getting a used copy of the Dover reprint
        edition several years ago. --Warren

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2006
          The Adventures of Loveday Brooke is available electronically from
          http://www.blackmask.com/cgi-bin/newlinks/search.cgi?query=pirkis, and an
          illustrated copy can be read at
          http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/pirkis/brooke/brooke.html. No other
          Pirkis books appear to be available online, alas.

          Jon.

        • agh7746
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7, 2006
            Thank you all for the insight into C.L. Pirkis. I actually have quite an
            extensive library on GAD authors, but somehow never seem to look on my own
            shelves, preferring to ask my listmates for what they know. But you have
            driven me to look at my reference books, and she does seem to be an author
            I would be willing to try one or two stories.

            And Mike, your site and Wyatts were two of the first sites I found when I
            first disccovered the GAD site, and have been on my favorites list for
            probably 4-5 years. It is a fabulous reference, and I think you should
            promote it for all the reasons you yourself mentioned.

            Again, thanks for all your input on this author.

            Anita