Darwin and Hildegarde Teilhet

  • Douglas G. Greene
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      In answer to a query, I just posted the followign on the Carr list.
      Perhaps some GADers will be interested as well:

      Quite a few years ago, I became friends with Hildegarde Teilhet and
      wrote an article for THE ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE about the Teilhets's
      early detective novels. Somewhat later, I persuaded IPL to reissue
      THE TALKING SPARROW MURDERS with my introduction.

      Their works fall into 4 major categories:

      1) The fairplay detective novels of the 1930's, sometimes with
      impossible crimes (THE TICKING TERROR MURDERS, DEATH FLIES HIGH,
      MURDER IN THE AIR) and generally with a Liberal social attitude --
      THE TALKING SPARROW MURDERS is strongly anti-Nazi at a time when too
      many people thought of the Nazis as merely German nationalists. Also
      noteworthy are 4 novels featuring the Baron Von Kaz.

      2) The thrillers of the 1940's to the early 1960's, often spy novels,
      sometimes about labor unrest. THE FEAR MAKERS is in this category.

      3) The Picaresque novels mainly of the 1930's -- JOURNEY TO THE WEST,
      BRIGHT DESTINATION.

      4) The historicals, including THE MISSION OF JEFFREY TOLAMY.

      All of their detective novels are well-worth reading.

      Doug G
    • Douglas G. Greene
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Jon

        Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of moving offices where I work, and my
        Teilhet files (with transcripts of my conversations with Hildegarde
        Teilhet) as well as my relatively long ARMCHAIR DETECTIVE article are
        packed away. Some material is in my IPL introduction to TALKING
        SPARROW, and Hubin has the bibliography as well as the Teilhet dates.

        The Baron Von Kaz mysteries are very good indeed, and worth tracking
        down through ABE, EBay or otherwise.

        Apologetically,

        Doug

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006