Re: PC again

  • ritznervonjung
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrmarks@a... wrote:
      > Doug
      >
      > Like JDC, Craig Rice really didn't have the same prejudices of
      the time
      > about gays either..

      The only thing they had in common...

      R.V.J.
    • Douglas G. Greene
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "ritznervonjung"
        <ritznervonjung@h...> wrote:
        > --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrmarks@a... wrote:
        > > Doug
        > >
        > > Like JDC, Craig Rice really didn't have the same prejudices of
        > the time
        > > about gays either..
        >
        > The only thing they had in common...
        >
        > R.V.J.

        Actually, Ritzner, if you will read biographies of Carr and Rice, you
        will see that they had several things in common . . . But I won't
        spoil your journey of discovery by revealing what they are.

        Jeff, in the late 1940's, Carr was invited to a royal audience to
        thank him for his service to England throug his BBC work, but one of
        his "Producers" (ie, Directors) was not invited because it was
        well-known that he was gay. Carr therefore refused to attend as well.
        Clarice Carr told me that John could not understand why people were
        sometimes judged on their sexual orientation.

        Doug G
      • Tomenid@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
          Speaking of attitudes toward gays, the other Carr--Glyn Carr--also defended
          the gay lifestyle in one of his books, pointing out that at least "2 percent
          of the population" was gay. When I mentioned that line and that figure to
          Steven Saylor, Steven remarked that there were many people, gays included, who
          thought the two percent figure was more accurate than 10 percent. But the point
          of this was that in his own naive way Glyn Carr also was pro-gay.
          Tom