Ellery Queen Radio Mysteries

  • Bob Schneider
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      I've just begun reading the latest Crippen & Landru collection of
      Dannay & Lee redio scripts. Very entertaining. The stage directions
      really give insight as to how radio dramas were brought to life. These
      adventures don't measure up to the best of Queen's short stories but
      considering the fact that an episode had to be written every week or
      so, the overall quality is remarkably high.

      The Nikki Porter character comes off very well. She is the liveliest
      and least annoying of the regulars. How the "maestro" remained
      (apparently) invulnerable to her charms is the biggest mystery of all.

      Highly recommended.

      Bob
    • Douglas G. Greene
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2005
        Thanks, Bob, for your kind comments. We are already receiving e-mails
        and telephone calls begging us to publish a second volume of Ellery
        Queen's radio scripts. Considering that we first announced THE
        ADVENTURE OF THE MURDERED MOTHS as forthcoming seven years ago, I
        think we have to catch our collective breath first.

        But I'm glad to say that we have already heard from the Dannays about
        how much they like the book.

        Doug G.

        --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Schneider"

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8 11:33 PM
          I really enjoyed this book. Radio plays by authors of the Golden Age
          period are an untapped resource for publishers like Crippen & Landru,
          and I hope you do more of them, not just Carr and Queen. (However,
          what other authors who are considered 'classic' did radio rather than
          stage plays?)

          I have updated my <a
          href="http://www.mysterylist.com/crippenlandru.html">C&L web
          page</a>.