18791Re: Sayers

  • vegetableduck
    Nov 9, 2008
      Hooray!

      Yes, if you are a humdrum fancier, these Sayers books are manna. In
      the one she out-Crofts Crofts, in the other she out-Rhodes Rhode.
      It's interesting how they are considered the most "male" of
      detective fiction writers, yet Sayers mastered their idiom
      triumphantly.

      I hated Herringas the first time I read it, but experience with
      Crofts proved helpful.

      I like mid-period Sayers best, though I have a soft spot for Whose
      Body?, the first I read by her, appropriately enough (actually I
      statrted Five Red Herrings and put it down unfinished for years).

      I used to like The Documents in the Case, but liked less on
      rereading.

      With her later books to me she is writing herself out of the mystery
      genre and into that of the straight novel, like P. D. James.

      Curt

      --- In GAdetection@yahoogroups.com, refaust@... wrote:

      > On 9 Nov 2008, at 10:03, vegetableduck wrote:
      >
      > > 1. The Five Red Herrings
      > >
      > > (yes, the one everyone hates)
      > >
      > > 2. Have His Carcase
      > >
      > > (Yes, the other one everyone hates, except for the Harriet and
      Peter