Terry W. Benton's GAGDebate Invitation - Accepted!

  • rlbaty50
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2010
      NOTE from editor: Robert will not get to debate without actually answering the
      questions posed to him. He indicates below that he will not answer the questions
      posed to him. So, he will not be allowed posts on this site that waste our time
      with more of his "weaseling".

      Terry W. Benton
      ____________________________________________________________________Terry W. Benton's GAGDebate Invitation - Accepted!
      Submitted GAGDebate list: 08/19/2010 6:00 PM MT

      See (note the cross-posting by Terry; excluding the Maury_and_Baty list):

      > From: Terry W. Benton
      > Website: http://www.pinelanechurchofchrist.com
      > To: coCBanned@yahoogroups.com
      > To: GAG2discussion@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010

      > (excerpt)

      > Robert can return to the GAGDebate list
      > ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GAGdebate/ )
      > if he wants a real and fair debate.

      > Terry W. Benton
      > http://www.pinelanechurchofchrist.com

      Following is the link to the GAGDebate list and its description:

      > A discussion of the validity and
      > truth of my view of the divine
      > record of creation as opposed to
      > the view of Robert Baty and his
      > erroneous argument called
      > "Goliath of GRAS".

      I will be more than glad to have Terry's and my exchanges on any issues of mutual interest we may wish to discuss posted on the GAGDebate list concurrently with postings elsewhere as agreed to between the parties.

      (1)

      Since Terry has demonstrated lately that he can easily cross-post messages, I will propose that Terry agree to cross-post all exchanges between us, on matters to be agreed upon, on the Maury_and_Baty list as well as the GAGDebate list. Being public lists, they may be copied elsewhere as the parties or observers may determine appropriate. Terry and I will be allowed to post, unmoderated, on both lists.

      (2)

      Terry is welcome to discuss his view of creation all he wants. I'm not interested in discussing his views on that with him.

      (3)

      The "Goliath of GRAS" is not, fundamentally concerned with creation other than to propose that the evidence independent of the text indicates that it took place more than a few thousand years ago.

      (4)

      If Terry wants to discuss, in that context, the "Goliath of GRAS" and the claims I have made for it, I am more than willing to do so subject to terms and conditions to be resolved before beginning any such discussion with Terry.

      (5)

      In an effort to accommodate Terry, I will consider that he no longer disputes the "deductive validity" of the "Goliath of GRAS"; the next order of business for discussion being my truth claim regarding its major premise.

      (6)

      I would propose we both post messages under the subject header of "Goliath of GRAS - The Major Premise!".

      (7)

      Before beginning the discussion of the truth of the major premise of the "Goliath of GRAS", I would propose that Terry stipulate that he accepts the idea/concept that a hypothetical statement such as the major premise of the "Goliath of GRAS" may be determined to be true without regard to the truth of any of its antecedent elements.

      (8)

      In dealing with the issues, statements/premises will be considered true or false; arguments will be considered valid or not valid, sound or not sound in order to consistency. Issues regarding other relevant terms will be dealt with as deemed appropriate.

      (9)

      We may wish to appoint moderators to help us resolve certain disputed matters independent of the substance of our dispute over the merits of the "Goliath of GRAS".

      (9)

      The above and other matters to be resolved to the mutual satisfaction of both Terry W. Benton and me before the posting of my first affirmative which would provide the justification for why I consider the major premise true.

      Sincerely,
      Robert Baty